Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread for HQ Sweet 16 >
  • Thread for HQ Sweet 16

• Thread for HQ Sweet 16

Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM

Check Rhonda Bracey's blog. Like her, I have used all kinds of threads in my S16 including multiple brands of 40 weight embroidery thread, heavy threads like King Tut, 50 weight and 40 weight So Fine, two brands of metallic, and all kinds of cotton sewing thread (mostly 40 weight). Mostly I use Superior SuperBob pre-wounds for the bobbin, but I've used others too. Like an earlier poster said, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to use any thread you like. The key is getting comfortable with adjusting the tension. The first few times you use a different thread you might get frustrated. Just follow the instructions from Handiquilter via Youtube.

A more important question is what type of thread you like. I don't like shiny threads in my quilts (well, except for some with metallics). I like a matte finish, so I don't like most polyester threads. I do like So-Fine since it has a lovely matte finish, and I find Isacord embroidery thread also nice and subtle. I use a lot of variegated threads too, so the Aurifils and King Tuts get a lot of use. Note there are others who prefer a shiny look. That is what the Glide thread is. You should buy a spool of a number of different types and see what you prefer.

Have fun. I love my S16, and I just know you will too.

Pam
    Old 03-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Congrats on the machine. My sister has the sit down model of hq16 and I have the frame model. Short of using twine you should be able to run just about any thread you want to use. I would suggest you purchase thread in 3,000 yd cones. This should get you thru a quilt and winding of bobbins.
    It is hard to say how much thread you will use on any quilt because of the actual quilting;i.e. dense quilting, medium dense quilting, light quilting. Just remember the lower the number the heavier the thread. If you are planning dense quilting then use a lighter thread as in 60, 70 or even 100. If you are doing light quilting then use a heavier thread like a 35 40 or 50. Your quilting should rule the thread size used. In the bobbin I mostly use a 60 wt. thread because you can get more thread on the bobbin.
    You may want to join mqresource.com (membership is free) this is a website for longarm quilting. There is an excellent video regarding tension. Doesn't matter if it's a stand up, sit down, or on your head machine the website is a wealth of valuable information.
    When you do get thread breakage that is usually one of three problems; needle eye (you can have a defective eye on new needles) needle tension or bobbin tension.
    I wish you luck with your new machine. When you get ready to work with it the first time, you have just one thing to remember........BREATHE!