Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need opinions on my wallhanging >

I need opinions on my wallhanging

I need opinions on my wallhanging

Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Beautiful!! Do use interfacing behind the cross. It will make your life easier.
I are with the royal purple border.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:01 PM

I also like it the way it is ... a water color effect.

But you might want to at least "audition" the leading, cut pieces of black yarn and lay it (or glue stick if it won't stay put) on the lines then take a picture of it (you see so much more when you look at a photo!!).

If you like it with the leading, you can use black yard and couch it over the seam with black thread.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM

I like your original design! May I ask what the name of the pattern??? Tinker
Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 AM

This is lovely! I like it without the black zig-zag around the colors. I think that as it is makes it look like the colors of the rainbow radiating out of the cross. I suggest that you make a sample of the colors and see if you like the black on them. I recently did this after much fussing decided not to do any think around my applie. It is easier to do any testing on a sample piece then on the real quilt.

As for borders- none. Just bind it in dark purple, black or maybe gold. No border needed. Batting?_ I use the same batting for my wallhangings as i use for my quilts- Hobbs 80/20.

Backing?- check Hobby lobby (on line if there is not one by you). The might have some fabric with a religous theme.

good luck and show us the results.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 AM

This is going to be beautiful. I have created quite a few wall hangings for churches. I think your vision is really inspired and the symbolism is perfect. I agree with the suggestion of gray leading, black can be harsh on a design like this. I would do a satin stitch, but maybe that's what you mean by zig zag. Do that before sandwiching layers of batting and backing. Definitely use a tear away stabilizer under the areas as you stitch the leading. You don't need to stitch under the cross area more than 1/8 of an inch as you should cut away the colored fabrics under the cross. I wonder if it would give a 3-D effect to the cross if you first outlined it with the same leading and then inside those borders do a metallic silver satin stitch. Or...maybe only the silver around the cross with some silver stitch lines radiating out. I think any decision you make at this point will result in a gorgeous work of art.
Phyllis G.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 AM

Beautiful, and WOW. Nice job.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:22 AM

Your Shining Cross stained glass is just beautiful. I have one suggestion: Put your Words in Greek Letters. Or, in Latin. I'm assuming that a Seminarian will study a bit of the original languages, and it will add subtlty to his wall hanging. If you worked the cross and the words to look like Stained Glass, the effect would be even stronger. I like your idea of black threads between the colors. You may want to make a mini sample and work your zig zag black threads first, to see if the effect is what you really want. As for a border, you might want to continue the stained glass effect, whatever colors you choose. Do show us a final photo, I'm going to "follow" (subscribe) to this post, just to make sure I don't miss it!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 AM

I agree - I wouldn't use the black stitching - I think it looks perfect as is. I would put a darker border on it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 AM

Thank you all again for your wonderful suggestions! I knew that I would get expert suggestions from this wonderful board.
Now that I think I know how to post a picture, I will certainly keep you posted on my progress.
to answer tinker's question, I saw a wallhanging something like this somewhere on the internet, contacted the designer for the pattern, and sadly, she doesn't have one. She has a pattern for a similar wallhanging, and suggested I use it for guidance in making this one. So basically, I made up my own pattern. Believe me, it actually took me months, and several trial (and mostly error) cuts of the fabric before I finally got it right. I can probably make another one with all the "error" pieces I cut. Thank goodness I have enough material!! I way overestimated how much material I needed, and for once I am glad I did as it was hard to find.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:19 AM

It sounds like you have made up your mind and have your vision set - so don't know if you'll be checking back in - but i just wanted to say that i think this is just beautiful....and really was a labor of love ! I'll be looking forward to your posting the finished product.