Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are these salvageable? >
  • Are these salvageable?

• Are these salvageable?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 PM
    Power Poster

I now remember Sythropol and Suspend (dye in the water) both begin with S

Retayne -> Retain -> to keep (dye in/on the product)
    Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 PM

I would make up the quilt and wash it (I wash all my quilts upon completion) and even if it doesn't wash out someone will appreciate and love your quilt. There are many places to donate to.
    Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 AM

I would soak them in dawn dish soap and cold water over night . I use a table spoon of dawn to a gallon of water. It worked for me when I spilled blueberry pie all over a favorite blouse and the stain came out. Good luck. JoAn
    Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 AM

I can't see clearly the amount of the stain, but batiks are a little different from others. I think I would wash one block and see if it comes out ? If you are truly unhappy with the stain, then I would take the offending fabric out or ditch the blocks. I do like the idea of overdying, I have seen that done and it does look good.
    Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 AM

Vicki Welsh at Field Trips in Fiber did an experiment on bleeding fabrics. She tried all sorts of stuff and blogged what she found out. Its worth a look. I Have it bookmarked for just in case.

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...eding-fabrics/
    Old 06-10-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I agree with Prism99's suggestion, and in the off chance that doesn't work, google 'tea dying'!
    Make sure you use a washer that uses lots of water, not a front loader.
    I was at a quilting gathering and was told that tea dyeing should never be done as the tannic acid in tea will eat the fabric.
    Old 06-10-2014, 06:40 AM

I agree with dunster about washing a one block sample as an experiment before any permanent decision is made.
    Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

I've seen this with a friend's blocks. She had a few. She pre-washes everything but some of the darker still ran. She took a cooling rack for baking and placed it across her sink. Then placed the blocks upside down on the rack. She mixed some Dawn and water and painted the mixture all over the block. She did pre-wet the block first. Then she let it set for (the Dawn mixture) about 20 minutes. Her reason for placing the block upside down on the rack was so she could rinse the block with her sprayer and the water would run down through the rack and not spread all over the block. She does the same thing when cleaning her quilts outside. She has a rack set up on her patio with a sheet on a metal screen. Looks like quilting bee table. Sheet protects the quilt from any metal imprints or rust that may be on the rack. She also does this with her knitted/crocheted afghans.
    Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I've seen this with a friend's blocks. She had a few. She pre-washes everything but some of the darker still ran. She took a cooling rack for baking and placed it across her sink. Then placed the blocks upside down on the rack. She mixed some Dawn and water and painted the mixture all over the block. She did pre-wet the block first. Then she let it set for (the Dawn mixture) about 20 minutes. Her reason for placing the block upside down on the rack was so she could rinse the block with her sprayer and the water would run down through the rack and not spread all over the block. She does the same thing when cleaning her quilts outside. She has a rack set up on her patio with a sheet on a metal screen. Looks like quilting bee table. Sheet protects the quilt from any metal imprints or rust that may be on the rack. She also does this with her knitted/crocheted afghans.
    I've done that with small pieces.

The idea makes perfect sense to me.
    Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    If I were doing this for myself, not as a gift or for sale, I'd complete the quilt as is, wash with retayne or synthropol (I can't EVER remember which is right for afterwards!!) or Color Catchers, and love the quilt no matter what. I just don't believe any quilt is so ugly that it can't serve the purpose for which it was intended, and no quilting fabric is worth throwing out.

Best of luck.

Jan in VA
    I was just thinking the very same thing. Since you have batiks in it, and they have different variations of color, it would not look out of place. So, take a gamble and see what happens. Overdying seems to me just another process and if you are disappointed then you are disappointed twice. Good luck!