Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting while sitting down >

cutting while sitting down

cutting while sitting down

Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

I don't really recommend the posture of being bent over a coffee table for hours and hours at a time - but it works while watching TV (if DH is watching golf, for example). It's not worse that playing solitaire on a coffee table

The plus side - I have the same leverage and control of the cutter as I do standing up.
The down side - this works best for small pieces - like cutting scrap into small squares or trimming HSTs to size.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 PM

I have been using the floor lately, sitting or kneeling, even just bought a kneeling pad I may not be able to get up, but at least the fabric gets cut!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:42 PM

I use the coffee table to cut if my back is bothering me, It allows me to stretch, and I feel better after.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 PM

I lower my ironing board to the right height when sitting down
Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 AM

I use my kitchen counter to cut out fabric and also it is great for my handcrank (I converted a Singer 99 to a handcrank) for piecing. The counter is the right height and when I put mat on it, it is perfectly protected. I can either sit at one of the stools or stand. The handcrank is perfect for the counter because it is almost the quietest thing in the house and I can be next to the family room with the hubby and it does such a nice job of piecing.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 AM

I am among the many sitters too. Before my BFF passed away she would cut my yardage into 1 to 1 1/2 yard chunks that I could handle better. Now I just ask the store if they can make an extra cut or two for me while they have it on their cutting table. I have never had anyone refuse. I think this size is much easier to handle when washed also.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by palmetto girl View Post
I cut sitting down as I can't do much standing. I think it is what you get use to. Good luck!
This happens to me too. You have to find a table Lori S that is the right height for you to safely cut sitting down. We all who are the aging population of quilters must find ways to adapt to continue our hobby we enjoy doing so much. I have actually started to "cut backwards" when I read a post over a month ago. I find that it works well for me and that keeping the 6"x24" ruler on the fabric helps keep my fabric from slipping so much. Being backward, you need another ruler to place in from to measure the cut with. It is confusing at first but I have learn it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:13 AM

This is why I use precuts whenever I can.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
I have been using the floor lately, sitting or kneeling, even just bought a kneeling pad I may not be able to get up, but at least the fabric gets cut!
I love this......
Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 AM

I forgot to mention that it also helps to use an adjustable office chair to get to the right height when cutting. Even in the kitchen I have changed to an office chair for food prep sitting down at the kitchen table. My walker seat works great for doing the dishes and folding clothes.

Last edited by Auntie V; 06-15-2014 at 05:31 AM.