Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sister-in-law wants me to teach her how to quilt >

My sister-in-law wants me to teach her how to quilt

My sister-in-law wants me to teach her how to quilt

Old 09-06-2009, 03:17 AM

A little homework is good also. Make sure that she knows that this site and so many others can give her a lot of instruction when you are not there. Maybe a list of places she can go to get "basic" information with pictures, always helps reinforce what an instructor has shown her. If she is like me, as soon as I go home, I would have lots and lots of questions, even though you have already told her, and looking them up on the internet may really help.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I always have questions later - other resources are good to know about -
Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

What an awesome compliment to buy one of your quilts.
Sounds fun to teach your SIL..
:D
Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Our guild has a beginner quilting class once a month. May be just one beginner or couldbe many. The experienced quilters come and sew on whatever and are there for any questions or help that is needed by the beginner. It's very social and it's fun. If someone asks me to teach them to quilt I say sure, come to the class. All they have to bring is fabric, the guild has the machine and tools to use.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Teach her what you can, get her to where you are, and you can both continue learning from there. How fun to have a quilting buddy!!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

ok, since she is an adult, and your willing to be of help, but don't consider yourself adept at the teaching...now quilting? pul-eaze, you got that dooown!
anywhoo, my suggestion is this
: show her the tools, and how to cut an accurate, strip or block, or whatever...focusing on, measure, measure, measure, and it's the part that shows, that needs to be accurate...
This has got to be one of the most valuable things I have learned about quilting: I was so focused on getting a perfect 1/4" seam, that I wasn't paying as much attention to the part of the block, that would show. Then I would measure, and sometimes it was off! So now, if I get the 'showy' part right, I don't worry about what size the seam allowance is, as long as there is enough not to unravel, lol.
The second part to my suggestion: introduce her to a couple good sewing books, or magazines, bc there is so much to learn, you help her with the training wheels, and then let her take off on her own, with the offer to help, if she hits a roadblock. Otherwise, you'll be using up all your own, 'quilty' time. If she is a true quilter at heart, she'll be grateful for the direction and won't be able to put the books down. :D
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Eddie, I taught quilting for 12+ years and in regard to your SIL, I've the following questions:
1) Does she have a sewing machine? Does she know how to use it?
2) Is she willing to purchase a rotary cutter, acrylic ruler, self-healing mat?
3) Is she willing to purchase fabric, thread, batting, etc.?
A few years ago, I was asked to teach a beginning class at our Library and the response to learn quilting was overwhelming. In order to cut that down to a manageable number I divided the class into 4 groups of 6 students. I decided that the first lesson was to make a 12-inch block that could be used as a hot pad. I brought two of my sewing machines, my fabric, rotary cutters, batting, thread, etc. to the first meeting of each group. They each paid me $10 for the supplies. After each group had made a hot pad, I gave them a list of the basic supplies and set dates for six lessons. Once they learned the cost of all the supplies and the work and time involved in quilting, 16 out of the 24 came back for the actual beginning quilting lessons. Although you wouldn't charge your SIL, you would find out just how interested she really is BEFORE she buys the necessary supplies.
Yes, it is a thrill when people ask you to teach them to make a quilt or want to purchase a quilt or have you make them a particular quilt, but most people don't understand how costly and time consuming it is, so often they are loathed to pay the actual cost. Good luck! :P
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the GREAT input, everyone! It's very helpful. To answer the questions asked, she doesn't have a sewing machine right now. She asked me if she needed one ( :shock: ) , and I told her that some people do quilt by hand, it just depends on how quick she wants the end result. I'll take it slow with her and not overwhelm her and see where things go and how interested she really is. We'll see!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Hi Eddie,
I have been trying to teach my hubby to quilt...after he bought a kit that required he know how to make every design. I found that he didn't learn like I do. Find out the style of learning your SIL requires...hands on, visual, just watching you, etc. and then gear your lessons towards that. Hubby had no idea how to turn on a sewing machine and he thought you had to push the fabric through. :shock: He has made two projects, start to finish (machine applique and paper piecing) and now he is going for a simple nine patch that he picked out of a book. Some students will catch on rather quickly and others will require ALL of your attention when they are 'working'. :roll: Best of luck. Just take your time and don't pray for patience or you will be given a reason to need them. :-o
Chris
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM

this is so funny.....as I am still learning to quilt properly....BUT MY 'CRAZY NON-FOLLOW THE RULE QUILT' BRINGS ME THE MOST JOY!

Teach her to crazy quilt....

I cut out all different shapes and sew....THEN SMILE, LOOK AT MY WORK!!

So far, I made 2 crazy quilts....one big twin....one little twin size!
My grandsons just love them....they are kinda mis shaped and mis sized, but cute.

And I love just going to the fabric store and getting a yard of this and a yard of that!

Best to you.