Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch? >
  • Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch?

• Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone, this is great advice, and I love hearing your memories of the past! The smell of starch brings me back to happy memories of my childhood.
    Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM

I wash and starch just before I begin a project. Keep in mind that my stash consists of leftover scraps and I buy for projects.
    Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM

I like fabric that has some body to it, but when I tried starch, I really messed up. When I went to cut the fabric, I had starched and ironed it off grain. It was impossible to wet and re-iron it when working with yardage. I ended up washing the fabric again to get the starch out, and threw away what I had already cut as it was so off grain. So I tried starching the fabric after I cut the pieces. That made piecing easier, but I can see where cutting the fabric correctly after starching would be a big help.
    Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
    Power Poster

when you spray the starch on the fabric, it's a good idea to let the starch penetrate the fibers. You can spray then wait a few minutes until it's soaked in. You don't want to see beads of the starch solution on your fabric. You can spray with water to dampen first, then spray with the starch solution, wait a few minutes then iron with a dry iron. You want the heat from the iron to dry the fabric. Don't move the fabric from the board until it's cool, then you can move to the next portion.
    Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Hm. This concerns me, because I can see this happening to me too.

Originally Posted by Pennyhal
    I like fabric that has some body to it, but when I tried starch, I really messed up. When I went to cut the fabric, I had starched and ironed it off grain. It was impossible to wet and re-iron it when working with yardage. I ended up washing the fabric again to get the starch out, and threw away what I had already cut as it was so off grain. So I tried starching the fabric after I cut the pieces. That made piecing easier, but I can see where cutting the fabric correctly after starching would be a big help.
    Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches
    Thanks everyone, this is great advice, and I love hearing your memories of the past! The smell of starch brings me back to happy memories of my childhood.
    I think that's why I love the Niagra in the spray bottle original scent. I just smile when I smell it heated. Memories of childhood. I think.
    Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 PM

As a general rule, I don't pre-wash my fabrics, except for batiks, but either way, I starch any fabric that I'm going to be working with, at least 2 hours prior to my using it. I buy the concentrated Sta-Flo and dilute 50/50. I spray heavily on the right side of the fabric, put in a plastic bag and let it sit for the 2 hours, then I'll either put in the drier for a few minutes or air dry. I actually prefer the air dry better, but it depends on how much time I have. I don't use steam but have a water spray bottle that I use. I will spray lightly then iron on the wrong side of the fabric. Doing it this method, I don't have a problem with the iron getting all gunky.

I've never had a problem with bugs bothering my fabrics, so I would say that if you have a problem with silverfish or the like, you shouldn't store your starched fabrics, but in the same instance if you don't have a problem with the above, then you probably won't have a problem.

Last edited by pocoellie; 08-01-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 AM

I prewash then don't starch until I'm ready to use. I love Best Press but find their sprayer wastes a lot. I went to the Sally's Beauty Supply store and bought 3 oz spray bottles to put it in. Have to refill he bottles often if I am spraying a lot but they spray with a nice fine mist and the Best Press goes a lot farther.
    Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 AM

1) Prewash & dry
    2) If you are not going to use all of the fabric, cut the amount you will need and fold and store the remainder
    3) Starch
    4) Fold the starched piece and wrap in plastic or a zip lock bag and store in the fridge for at least 1 hour
    5) Press the starched fabric
    6) Cut

Yes I put my fabric in the fridge after starching. I find I get a crisper/firmer result, no scorching, no residue, and less excess starch remaining on my ironing board.

If you want to skip the fridge step at least wait 5 minutes or so for the starch to soak completely into the fabric. Not letting the starch set is the leading cause for both scorching and residue.
    Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

I don't prewash my fabrics either. I live in an apartment complex so washing fabric is definitely out of the question. I do as QuiltnNan does.....

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    I starch when piecing.
    Whatever works for each individual is what each person should do. No right or wrong.