Inherited old Singer

Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Sewnoma, yours is definitely a little bit more 'modern' looking but in beautiful condition!

I plugged mine in and the light works, but I don't know how to make it go! It site there looking lovely but nothing happens.

I can't find an 'on-off' switch and the manual doesn't mention turning it on, just stick the knee bar in and get going.

Maybe I am not sticking the bar in?

I bet you are all laughing at me!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM

The knee bar kind of clicks into place - you can tell it's secure. And yes, it should start. Do you hear the motor humming?

Mine is a real old one too, from the 20s, I think. I was surprized when I saw younger ones with reverse....
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 AM

No I do not hear the motor humming. In fact, the motor does not make a sound. The light goes on and it sits there looking pretty. uh-oh!

When I opened the machine cover, there was an old cut-up undershirt with some straight-stitch sewing on it - testing, probably - and the stitches were long and the tension was way off. Since it was black thread, and the machine had black thread loaded when I opened it, I had assumed it would run.

Of course, my mother-in-law died over 30 years ago, and the machine has been sitting in my brother-in-law's storage room, unused, all that time. He just gave it to me last weekend as they are trying to downsize and he knows I am an enthusiastic quilter. No one can remember if it worked, and my brother-in law, going on 78, can't remember seeing his mother use it after his childhood days.

I have to say that the quality of the undershirt cotton is insanely good, shocking, although its white has gone to a lovely cream over time. The inlaws were an incredibly thrifty couple, typical for their post-depression generation, so now I am wondering if overall the quality of knit goods has deteriorated...another topic for another time.

Net net I guess I had better get someone to deal with the motor. Maybe find a Yahoo group? Do I want to sew with it or just look at it? so confused...

well happy holidays all and thanks for your help
Old 12-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Sorry, I'm not much help when it comes to motors, but I'd CAREFULLY!!!! check the wiring and if that seems to be OK, I'd install a different motor. I think that's the easiest and cheapest way to fix this.....
Look for a 99 at yr Goodwill or online at http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings....asp?catID=415 in your location so that you don't have to pay shipping and then use one or the other as part machine....

All the vintage Singers that I have tried so far make a lovely stitch.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
No I do not hear the motor humming. In fact, the motor does not make a sound. The light goes on and it sits there looking pretty. uh-oh!

When I opened the machine cover, there was an old cut-up undershirt with some straight-stitch sewing on it - testing, probably - and the stitches were long and the tension was way off. Since it was black thread, and the machine had black thread loaded when I opened it, I had assumed it would run.

Of course, my mother-in-law died over 30 years ago, and the machine has been sitting in my brother-in-law's storage room, unused, all that time. He just gave it to me last weekend as they are trying to downsize and he knows I am an enthusiastic quilter. No one can remember if it worked, and my brother-in law, going on 78, can't remember seeing his mother use it after his childhood days.

I have to say that the quality of the undershirt cotton is insanely good, shocking, although its white has gone to a lovely cream over time. The inlaws were an incredibly thrifty couple, typical for their post-depression generation, so now I am wondering if overall the quality of knit goods has deteriorated...another topic for another time.

Net net I guess I had better get someone to deal with the motor. Maybe find a Yahoo group? Do I want to sew with it or just look at it? so confused...

well happy holidays all and thanks for your help
Very pretty 99! I haven't worked on a knee bar controller so I'm not much help to you on the motor issue. It is worth fixing and sewing with it though. I have a sort of weakness for the 99s. If you don't already know they use standard needles and class 66 bobbins.

I would say you're right on about the quality of material going downhill over the years. There's reasons clothing manufacturers can sell their products for insanely low prices. One of those is they use the cheapest possible fabrics they can get away with. They want their products to last just long enough that you won't be angry when it falls apart on you so you have to buy more.
Rodney