Old 02-02-2015, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
    Old 02-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Welcome from NE Ohio.
    Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM

welcome from se TX
    Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 AM

Hi and welcome to the board! Your fabric creation work sounds interesting, fun, and inspiring. I hope you enjoy hand quilting, it is great once you find your rhythm. I am only working on my second quilt project, my first being a six block project I learned to hand quilt on. I watched youtubes and have a friend who hand quilts but the online tutorials are helpful if you can't meet with someone who hand quilts. I found once I have marked my quilt top with chalk I quilt the sections counterclockwise (I am right-handed).

Just a word on thimbles, I use a Comfort Thimble from a small company out of Oregon. The Comfort Thimbles are sold through some online vendors and in some quilt stores. I have tried Clover, Dill Buttons, etc. and Comfort Thimble works well for me. No broken needles, no poke throughs with the needle. I have two sizes, medium for summer when fingers are slightly swollen and small for winter, so when I couldn't guess my size and bought two I found I needed both anyway.

I also recommend a Quilter's thumble. A yellow plastic thumb guard for the thumb of your non-quilting hand as I have been jabbed by my needle when I don't wear one. I just bought one at hobby lobby for a few dollars. I think dritz makes it. Last thing, a wonder under for your under the quilt guide finger. You can still feel the needle come thorough the fabric but again easier on your fingers. Gutermann 100% cotton from JoAnn fabrics works great. I used 50 wt on my first project but have read online 40 wt is more for quilting. I hand piece too and am using the 50 wt for that. There are some good hand quilting resources too. Try Jinny Beyer online, you may find a tutorial on her website plus she has a Quiltmaking by Hand book that is exceptional and I borrowed it through my local library.

I'm not sure you wanted that much info, but I am a rookie quilter learning too and about and hour and a half south of Milwaukee (tons of snow here too). I have found the right tools, books, and online tutorials make all the difference. I will check this thread in a couple of days in case you have any follow-ups or specific things you want to know about hand quilting and or hand piecing.
    Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM

Hi welcome from Memphis tn. Im a former Wisconsinite who migrated here from pt Washington wisc. You will love this board and will learn many things here from all the fine and educated folks. I do miss the snow and wish I was there in the blizzard lol. Don't need a blizzard to do any quilting but it will help keep you warm. This is a whole new world that opened up for you. Am looking forward to seeing some of your work. Happy stitches.
    Old 02-05-2015, 07:09 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome from Oklahoma.