Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing with Batiks >
  • Sewing with Batiks

• Sewing with Batiks

Old 06-16-2015, 06:15 AM

I use a Microtex for piecing and a topstitch for quilting (larger hole so thread does not break) Works great.. I put a sticky note on my machines saying what type of needle I have in (just in case I forget what I was doing last) You need to use a sharp needle for batiks for sure.
    Old 06-16-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    As an aside - I was recently at a quilting class. A new lady proudly announced that she'd never had to change a needle in the 25 years or she'd had the machine............. Not often I'm lost for words!
    This absolutely blows my mind. How were you able not to say anything? LOL. I've never heard of anything so outrageous.
    Old 06-16-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Topstitch has a bump on the shaft to open up the fabric and will make a bigger hole. It is used for quilting. You want to use microtex or sharp. It sounds like you might also need a thinner thread like aurifil. I use 80/12 microtex and I use mainly Hoffman or Walmart batiks.
    Thank you, Annaquilts, I didn't realize that about Topstitch needles. I will keep that in mind. Yes, I definitely use Aurifil thread, in fact, I buy it by the cone! It's all I use. Am a huge believer of Aurifil thread.

I bet Walmart has better prices on needles....and Batik. Just wondering which Walmart you are able to find Batiks? The ones close to me don't carry fabric. (: I noticed you are in SoCa.
    Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sally J
    I use a Microtex for piecing and a topstitch for quilting (larger hole so thread does not break) Works great.. I put a sticky note on my machines saying what type of needle I have in (just in case I forget what I was doing last) You need to use a sharp needle for batiks for sure.
    Really like your suggestion about the post-it note, saying which needle is inserted. Way too easy to forget!
    Old 06-16-2015, 05:47 PM

I haven't used a different needle when sewing batiks as opposed to regular quilting cottons. I do use a different one for denim and upholstery fabrics. And if I forget I usually regret it!
    Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 PM

As to finding which Walmart in your area has batiks, I've found that the ones with a 'real' fabric section will often have at least a few batiks. Otherwise there may or may not be a few precuts.

This observation is based on shopping in Texas, Colorado and Pennsylvania
    Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 AM

I have several packages of Universal needles--that translates into about 20. I feel like I need to use them up. I don't know how I got so many !!! I thought Universal meant use for everything. Before I found this site and got educated about needles. When I get my supply whittled down, I want to try titanium needles. I have some blades for my cutter, and they last forever. Love them.
    Sue
    Old 06-17-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend
    This absolutely blows my mind. How were you able not to say anything? LOL. I've never heard of anything so outrageous.

Ha! I agree! I would bet it's never been serviced either... I loved the titanium needles, but my brother machine, not so much. I'll have to try them in my bernina and see if she likes them. When y'all change needle size, do you change your thread as well? And do you use different threads when working with batiks?
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 AM

The thing that blows me away - those that think "universal" means it will work with any sewing machine. I've got 65 non-Singer vintage machines, and need about 15 different needle styles to fit them all.
    Old 06-18-2015, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    ......As an aside - I was recently at a quilting class. A new lady proudly announced that she'd never had to change a needle in the 25 years or she'd had the machine............. Not often I'm lost for words!
    Now that's a needle!!!! Either that, or she's never sewn with that machine.....