Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quit Top Disaster >

Quit Top Disaster

Quit Top Disaster

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM

*** HI! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
*** Keep trying it will work out.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Welcome to the Board. I don't know how I quilted without a 1/4 inch guide. I used to use the edge of my presser foot, but that was not accurate. The advise to start with a quilt that does not need matching is good. Remember, measure, measure, measure. Keep us posted on your progress.
Sue
Old 11-12-2015, 07:49 AM

MQ2 that is a beautiful quilt! and basically what I am doing.

Geri, I am pretty sure the pieces were all cut the same. There may have been a piece or two that was off in the slightest, but I don't think the seams would be off this bad. But who am I to think at this stage...

Sewnoma, you'r guess is as good as mine right now. I made sure to double and triple measure, but like I mentioned, I know one or two were slightly off, but certainly not every piece. I am using a rotary cutter, clear ruler (6" x 18") and mat. I did notice some slipping, so I will try the silicone trick and see how that goes.

Princess, that was a mistype on my part! The strips are in fact 6.5" by 12.5". I even had the measurements marked on the ruler so there was no 'looking around' each time, I just went to my marks.

Neesie, I am using the 18"x21" precut pieces they sell at a few stores, I can't remember what they are called, but they are supposed to be 100% although they are very thin and do tend to stretch.

Looking back now, and trying some of the scrap pieces now as a test, I may have found my issue! The fabric has a tendency to stretch out. I think I may have been 'holding back' on the fabric to keep it straight but that allowed it to stretch.

I think at this point, I will just keep on trucking along and finish it up and see what happens. We can just right it off as a learning experience anyways. Like they say, a few imperfections just show it has character!

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-12-2015, 08:08 AM

I like your attitude. Many of my quilts have character 😄
Old 11-12-2015, 08:32 AM

I find that I need to pin the two seams together to make them match up before sewing. Are you able to "nest" your seams before you sew? Don't give up! We were all new to this at one time.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 AM

Hope your "title" for the post is a typo and not your real feelings! We've all had that wish!! No advice, except to keep at it and welcome to out world!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:43 PM

We've all had those disasters. You say this is your first quilt. Don't be discouraged. It takes a while to perfect that 1/4 inch seam. Personally, I seem to learn something with every quilt I make. Keep going and enjoy every step of the way.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:42 PM

Steve, I would like to suggest that you do some research on You-Tube, Google and maybe your local library. There is so much good information that will take you step by step on your first quilt, starting with choosing fabric, preparing fabric and rotary cutting. Then move onto sewing your 1/4 inch seam and pressing without stretching your blocks out of shape. Also find suggestions for a beginner pattern. In reality, your squares or rectangles seem simple, but those are a lot of seams to match for a beginner. Good for you for jumping in and getting started! But I think some beginner information will help to keep you from becoming discouraged with quilting. You will get lots of good info here, but I think an organized lesson for a beginner will be really helpful for you. Hang in there!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Knowing how men hate to ask for directions, I'll still say it: It wouldn't hurt to take a class. Many of us got our start that way.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:27 PM

You've got fantastic advice here, so I'll just add from a fellow beginner....just enjoy the process. I'm making tons of boo-boos myself, but every time I do, I just smile and tell myself I just learned something.