Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HST question >
  • HST question

• HST question

Old 03-06-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by yadroc
    I don't like to correct someone else, but I think you should start with a 7 inch square and trim to 6 1/2 inches to give you a 6 inch finished square. I sure don't want you to end up with the wrong size. I think the rule is to cut your fabric 1 inch bigger than your finished square. The amount that you trim off will be very little, just enough to square up.
    Oops. You are right. Trim to 6 1/2"...finished 6". Sorry about that.
    Thanks yadroc for pointing that out.
    Old 03-06-2016, 05:53 PM
    Power Poster

I use the 6" finished HST Go die. I use the Block Loc ruler to trim. No matter if the cuts are all the same, all of my sewn HST do not sew up exactly the same. That's the way it happens for me.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-06-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 PM

Default me too!

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I use the 6" finished HST Go die. I use the Block Loc ruler to trim. No matter if the cuts are all the same, all of my sewn HST do not sew up exactly the same. That's the way it happens for me.
    I thought I was the only one this happened to. I have the Easy Angle ruler, I put up a seam guide - and still - Wonky HST's!!!
    Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Throw me on this pile! Lol! I try so hard, still get wonky so I always sew big and trim down. I just wish that pattern writers would stop with the 7/8 th business. Makes me have to stop and think what size is really needed.
    Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Lol... I think we bought the same kit! Hedge Maze quilt with Rowan fabrics? It's so beautiful.... I cut mine out already and had no problem with the 6 7/8" measurements, but it would be fine for you to cut at 7" and trim later. There's plenty of each fabric for you to cut 7" squares. Just don't go any bigger! I had leftovers of every fabric. Sometimes just a strip, but from most of it I had big pieces leftover.
    Yes that's it. Thanks for the info, so I can cut 7" squares & layer them then sew next to the drawn line? Ok cool. I'm good then! Looks like a beautiful quilt and the fabrics are so soft. I can't wait to get started. PM me if you have any tips along the way ok? I'm not quite ready to start mine just yet, but soon. Yay!!!

Last edited by quiltingbuddy; 03-06-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling error, that drives me crazy.
    Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 AM

Remeber measure twice, cut once....... I had to work hours to figure ways to cut pieces for a craftsy Kaffe Fassett quilt kit.....becuase there was not enough fabric to cut the number of pieces needed out of one of the fabric cuts..had to turn the grain...theN I had to fudge on quarter inch for one small piece. I had 1/16 sliver of fabric left after cutting 30 pieces. Craftsy is wonderful at sending more fabric, but they were out of the two i needed.....SO MEASURE AND COUNT your pieces to the fabric cuts you have, before cutting.
    Old 03-07-2016, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Creative Grids ruler that is marked in 7/8. It sure is a time saver. http://www.creativegridsusa.com/products/CGR78
    Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 AM
    Power Poster

yes please!! 6 1/2 inch which would of course be 6 inches when sew in.
    Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 AM

I just send you a PM about HST, so you might want to check it out. I'm from the TC area too!
    Old 03-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Years ago when Thimbleberries was all the rage, fabrics, patterns, clubs, etc., I bought a Creative Grids ruler that has the 7/8" marks. Lynette Jensen, Thimbleberries creator, used 7/8" in all her patterns. Well, Thimbleberries is no longer popular and I still have that ruler. It is in the tote with all the "specialty" rulers I just had to have! I also have yards and yards of Thimbleberries fabric in my stash. I loved it at the time.