Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Quilts with cats in the house >

Using Quilts with cats in the house

Using Quilts with cats in the house

Old 06-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I declaw my inside cats.. I know alot of people don't like that.. but I didn't want them to damage things
I used to think only the nails were removed - from what i understand - it is the equivalent of cutting off the first joints of all our fingers.
Probably better than having the whole hand amputated, but still - - - - - makes me cringe to think about oit.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Doesn't anyone know about Soft Claws? They are safe and humane. No awful declawing. My vet won't declaw as most vets won't do that now. I used them on my indoor cat and it doesn't matter if the cat scratches or kneads or swipes. They come in different colors and look great on the cat's paws. You have to change then out when the claw grows long. That is very important. My cat was finicky about me trimming his paws but he didn't mind me doing the Soft Paws. They work great on dogs too.

http://www.softpaws.com/
Who Knew? Looks like a great product.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:22 PM

I have a cat and yes, I've had quite a few accidents and tears on some quilts. Sometimes it's disappointing that I have to mend a tear or wash a bed quilt again, but I know I will make many more quilts in my time if I ever need a replacement. I have gone through many quilts, but my love for my cat exceeds any attachment I've had to any quilt.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM

I bought a very soft, plush blanket. I fold it across the foot of the bed during the day. That is where my cat chooses to sleep. She prefers the soft plush over the quilt. Every cat is different, but most cats like a plush fabric to knead and sleep on.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I used to think only the nails were removed - from what i understand - it is the equivalent of cutting off the first joints of all our fingers.
Probably better than having the whole hand amputated, but still - - - - - makes me cringe to think about oit.

This is true. The vet I use and all the vets in my area do not offer that procedure any more.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:58 PM

We have a cat, and she doesn't claw anything but her scratching post -- she's a strange cat. Maybe just having a great scratching post would help.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Our cats have a cardboard tray they like to claw. They do like to sit on the quilts and that's why I only put out washable quilts. I would recommend that your friend put her quilt in a pillow case and put it away rather than let it get heat-rotted in the trunk of her car. She can also put another quilt over the fancy one as a protection.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 PM

I have 2 cats. One only comes in for food and is very good. The other is young 18 months and full of mischief. She has clawed wall paper and chairs. But never touched a quilt. I'd make a wall hanging.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 AM

My daughter has 2 cats. I have a quilt in my sewing room draped over the armrest of the daybed. The cats curl up on the edge of the quilt that rests on the bed to take a cat nap. Besides a few cat hairs , the quilt is not bothered.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 AM

I have had cats for years and they have never ruined one of my quilts! They are not declawed, that is too painful for them. I do keep a scratching post or scratching box both upstairs and downstairs. If I notice any unwanted scratching behavior I gently spritz the cat with room temp water (only a few drops will do) and redirect it to the scratching post. Over the years, all have learned where to and where not to scratch. I also make what I call princess pads to keep on the bed and couch where my cat like to sleep. They are simply very soft mini quilts that the cat likes to lay on rather than the quilt. When company comes, I remove the pad from the couch and the cat hair goes with it!
My cats prefer fleece or flannel princess pads! I usually make them about fat quarter size and use them to practice free motion quilting before I give them to the cat.
Unless your friend's cat is very destructive, maybe these suggestions would help. Maybe she is worrying too much, the cat may simply lay on a quilt, not destroy it!