Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • removing pencil marks >
  • removing pencil marks

• removing pencil marks

Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM

I agree with the suggestions about pencil erasers -- although I wouldn't use the pink ones. I've had the best luck with either the white block erasers or the grey kneadable erasers (HL sells them with art supplies for a few bucks). I use the erasers to get the excess graphite off the fabric (the kneadable erasers are especially good at "absorbing" the graphite) and then use the Tide Stick on any residual marks with cold water. It doesn't always come out 100% with just the Tide Stick, but by using that to pre-treat, it always comes out for me in the wash (I wash in cold water with Tide Free). Definitely make sure the pencil is totally gone before putting it in the dryer.

Here's a link to other options, but so far I've never needed to use them... but if it went through the dryer, these might help. I've given this to parents who already washed/dried their child's school uniform & it worked to get the pencil stains out of their white polo shirts. http://www.geeksonhome.com/how_65238...il-stains.html
    Old 08-11-2016, 08:46 PM

I have had pretty good success using a white eraser. I bought the large white ones that came two to a package at Walmart. I only use them on fabric.
    Old 08-12-2016, 01:07 AM
    Power Poster

I've been using pencil for years. I always launder my finished project after the binding is finished. Only had a mark left once when I was pretty ( heavy handed, marked darkly) that time I spritzed with shout & relaundered, all came out.
    Old 08-12-2016, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    I've been using pencil for years. I always launder my finished project after the binding is finished. Only had a mark left once when I was pretty ( heavy handed, marked darkly) that time I spritzed with shout & relaundered, all came out.
    I'm with ckcowl...I use pencil all the time and have had almost no issues with it washing out. Only once, when, as you I got a little heavy-handed when changing a quilting design on white fabric. A bit of dish soap and a soft bristled toothbrush - sometimes repeated - and a couple of washings and even those marks were removed.
    Old 08-12-2016, 03:57 AM

Being a banner, maybe she doesn't want to wash it.....try an art gum eraser...found at art supply stores....maybe JAF or Michaels has in their painting depts.
    Old 08-12-2016, 07:49 AM

I've used a pink pearl eraser with good results, but I make sure my lines are very light.
    Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM
    Power Poster

It also depends on the type of pencil lead you use. I have a few of those off white erasers that say in black print on them " Fabric Eraser".
    Old 08-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Oops. I recently took a quilt design class and the teacher told us to NOT mark our fabrics with pencil, because it was impossible to get out.

Maybe a google search "how to remove pencil marks from fabric" would yield results.
    Peckish,
    What did your teacher recommend using? Just curious...
    lots2do
    Old 08-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    Peckish,
    What did your teacher recommend using? Just curious...
    lots2do
    She said to use a Sewline pencil or something similar, designed specifically for marking on (and disappearing from) fabric.

By the way, I attended a 4-day Ricky Tims/Alex Anderson seminar last spring, and Alex Anderson said the same thing. She also said she does not use and will not recommend using Frixion pens.
    Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM

I got a bottle of "marking pencil removal" and I use a special "bohin fabric eraser" works for me, good luck