Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Sewing Machine >
  • New Sewing Machine

• New Sewing Machine

Old 09-04-2016, 03:23 AM

Definitely Janome......great machines for the price.
    Old 09-04-2016, 05:19 AM
    dms

I would buy a used Viking. Just my opinion. I have 2 diamonds and love them. they are tough machines. I love the hovering feature. They automatically do that, unlike many machines and all the other bells and whistles.
    Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw
    Get a janome! I bought a new singer featherweight and was very unhappy! it is junk! I'm sure there are great singer's out there but the newer featherweights are not like the older ones!
    Do you mean the Singer Simple 3337? I would love to see a new Featherweight.
    Old 09-04-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    A Brother is the brand I would buy in that price range. I would check Amazon and compare. Put the one you like in your wish list so your SIL can get the one you want. I bought a brand new in box Brother 420PC for $250. I like it better then my Bernina 1260. A Janome Jem is excellent but will be more expensive. Also Ebay is a good place to compare machines too. Read the reviews before deciding.
    I 2nd this, low price Brother machines are very good (I've had about 3 of them, my granddaughters fall in love with them so I then give them to a granddaughter or keep at out of state daughter's homes for me to use). Next are the Janome, I love my Janome Jem but it is more expensive. The Jem Gold runs about $199, a great sturdy machine, has about 8 preset stitches so cannot change length, width, etc, but a great little machine, I use one for travel & classes (I have the Jem Platinum, same machine but no longer made under that name, Necchi Travel Mate also same machine, made by Janome)
    Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 AM

Thanks......I'll check them out and go from there. I'm over the moon happy to have gotten back into quilting but forgot how much some supplies are.......Quilter's rulers.....almost $20 ? Really ? It's a bloody ruler for Heaven's sake.

Oh well, if you want perfect cuts, I guess you have to have the right supplies.....<3
    Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    This would be a great choice: Brother cs6000i
    About $150 on Amazon. It has great reviews from many posters here.
    I loved this machine, also, but beware - it is a left homing machine.
    Old 09-04-2016, 08:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovelyl
    I loved this machine, also, but beware - it is a left homing machine.
    There is a you tube video from a poster here that shows how to change that. It worked for my Brother 420. I may work for other brands and models too.
    Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM

just thrilled with my $300 brother sewing/embroidery se-400. Finally easy labels, light enough to travel
    Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 AM

Echoing all the praise for Brother and Janome. I have one of each in that price range. (Actually bought two Brothers--one mechanical for $30 --the seller had used it once and sewing wasn't her thing-- local online yard sale find--and the other I bought was electronic and only $75 -- brand new!--at a yard sale. I ended up giving the electronic one to my DIL as a Christmas present and she loves it. Lots of fancy stitches she uses on baby gifts and home dec stuff.

My go-to brand is Janome, which I've upgraded because of the 11" harp space, but I took my mechanical Brother to my sister's in KY and purposely left it there for when I visit again.
    Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 AM

I bought the Brother at Wall Mart that has all the quilting feet and many decorative stitches. It was in that price range and has been a great machine for six years. I was looking in our new Wall Mart last week and they have a new model that says quilting machine. It is in your price range and they sure are good machines and light enough if you want to take it with you somewhere.