Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to embroidery/quilt a t-shirt quilt >

how to embroidery/quilt a t-shirt quilt

how to embroidery/quilt a t-shirt quilt

Old 09-28-2016, 06:47 AM

I have never made a t-shirt quilt by myself, but our quilting group just finished one, we all did together to be raffled at our Annual Rodeo in July. We will sell chances at our Fall Fair next weekend. We fused the blocks, then sashed them and one of the ladies tied the quilt - she has made probably at least 12-15 t-shirts over the last few years. I have not seen one embroideried before. I agree with Feline I think I would be very careful to be sure that your machine can handle the job.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:32 AM

That is my plan to do some test sewing with simple line designs. I have plenty of quilting designs that I will preview on sample blocks. If a design will fill most of the block to hold the batting in place, will be my goal.

When I make the final decision, Sophie will have a couple new quilts to toss around.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:43 PM

I have made several t-shirt quilts using the method you are talking about. If I remember I assembled a row and then did the quilting by using free motion quilting technique with my darning foot. I usually just outlined the letters or design and didn't sew through them. I use batting that needs only to be quilted every 4 inches so that seems adequate for most of the designs. I did use woven fabric for the backing which would be easier to control. I did the flip and sew method to add another row of t shirt and batting on front and backing and on the back. Then flip and match the edges Then quilt in each block. stitch in the ditch at the seams. if you need more info let me know