Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help with layout of quilt squares >
  • Need help with layout of quilt squares

• Need help with layout of quilt squares

Old 11-03-2016, 11:18 PM

sorry pic didn't post. You can see the different landscape patches are on a 4, 8, 12" fussy cut then built up with 4" 9 patches, to equal 12" squares. then put together in rows.
    Attached Thumbnails 6448.jpg  

Last edited by kwiltkrazy; 11-03-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 AM

Before I had a design wall, I would lay out a sheet or large piece of fabric on the bed. I would arrange the blocks and leave them. Whenever I would enter the room, I would look at it and usually something would pop out as not right. I would move them around and leave. If it took more than a day to figure out the right placement, I could roll up the sheet and keep them in the correct placement. But, usually, it worked itself out quickly. I think the trick was leaving the room. This gave me fresh eyes to look at it. Same trick works for sashing color or borders. Put the different colors on opposite sides and see which side catches your eye and makes you smile.
    Old 11-06-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by klswift
    Before I had a design wall, I would lay out a sheet or large piece of fabric on the bed. I would arrange the blocks and leave them. Whenever I would enter the room, I would look at it and usually something would pop out as not right. I would move them around and leave. If it took more than a day to figure out the right placement, I could roll up the sheet and keep them in the correct placement. But, usually, it worked itself out quickly. I think the trick was leaving the room. This gave me fresh eyes to look at it. Same trick works for sashing color or borders. Put the different colors on opposite sides and see which side catches your eye and makes you smile.
    This is a good method. I would add....take a picture and look at it in a smaller size. It's amazing how you can see things you want to change when in the smaller version.