Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question for those who make pillowcases for your family >

Question for those who make pillowcases for your family

Question for those who make pillowcases for your family

Old 12-03-2016, 06:38 AM

I got my sweet Mom to hand embroider some cute patterns before her deminita go so bad. One day (you know, 1 day is not a day of the week?)I want to make all pillow cases. Regular & mostly king size...
Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 AM

I admit I have a stack of pillowcases that came with sheets long gone now. But it didn't stop me from making one for myself out of my favorite ever bunny fabric. I used up the fabric for Project Linus quilts but was able to make use of one piece just for me to keep!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:59 AM

I make one. I make them specific to the recipient's likes. Because I have an embroidery machine, I always embroider initial and name and matching design on the contrasting border and insert a piping. They are used for bed and travel. Everyone loves getting one, even my adult children. I do usually have a small investment in each because of specialty material and designs. One of my favorite things to make.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I don't make pillowcases for family or myself because everyone I know buy sheet sets. So what would the sense be?
For me, it's just to have something cuter than the plain pillowcases that come with the sheets.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:19 AM
KLO

I make one but that is because I make themed ones such as different holiday fabrics so they can have them on the bed during that holiday or birthday or any other special day I can think of. Since I don't live near the grandchildren, I send them a pillowcase to stay in touch. I think I have them covered for the all the holidays throughout the year so now I look for specific sport fabric or other themed fabric of things they are interested in. I even found mustache fabric about a year or so ago when mustache stuff was everywhere and made them each a pillowcase from that. They were pretty excited about those cases!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

twin bed, i make one. otherwise i make two.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:35 AM

I make one for children but I like to make them out of something they really like. Last year I had 3 children to make pillowcases for. One gal LOVES zebras so I made her out of zebra looking fabric. It needed a splash of color so I made the cuff out of red & it was really cute. The other gal loves cats so I made hers from cat fabric with cat print fabric for the cuff. The third is really in to math so I found some fabric that has algebra & math problems all over it. I forget what I did for the cuff on that one.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I was wondering, when you make pillowcases for the children in your family, do you make them one or do you make them a pair? When making for charity it seems okay to make one, and for my great-niece and great nephew I have just been making them one each. But then I was wondering if that is okay since when you buy them they come in pairs. So thought I would ask what other folks are doing.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
I have only made them once for a child but I made two. I have them for the parents and siblings, and I make four. Because I use multiple pillows and they can always keep extras if they are extras as a backup.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
For me, it's just to have something cuter than the plain pillowcases that come with the sheets.
I like the fact that there are so many fabric choices when making pillowcases. They can have solid sheets but the cases can be something that coordinates but have more interest.

Last edited by slbram17; 12-03-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I sometimes make one and sometimes a pair. It depends on how I'm feeling that day Some people I've made one for, used it on a pillow on the couch or somewhere else and some are like me and don't have to have matching pillow cases on the bed.
I always prop myself up with 3 pillows...maybe others do too...?