Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
moving >

moving

moving

Old 12-31-2016, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I agree with gramajo. And as she says with the packing materials. I still have my box for my 2662 from more than 10 years ago. Only because I forgot about it.
Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I would trust the movers with your machine if it's packed in its original box along with all the original packing materials. After all, it was delivered by the manufacturer without being damaged.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

If you have the original molded foam inside the box then it should be fine. I would demand the machine be loaded last or marked LOAD LAST /UNLOAD FIRST and not have stuff piled on top of it. Movers know anyone can file a claim for damaged goods so they aren't all that careful. They want to get the job done and over the fastest way possible.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If you're only driving 4 hours, not leaving something precious over nite in your car somewhere, I would definitely urge taking it with you. "When in doubt, throw it ...IN, the car"!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by lvmybskt View Post
I'm getting ready to move this month and I have a bernina790 with embroidery unit. I have only had my machine for about 5 months. I haven't even opened the embroidery box yet. I still have the box for the sewing machine. Would you trust the movers to move your machine and embroidery box if you packed the machine back in the box. If I take it with me thats about the only thing that will fit in my car. I had considered buying the luggage that the machine and embroidery unit go it. That would take up less space in my car. Only moving about 4 hours away to Charlotte NC. I plan on packing my sewing room myself but the machine I don't trust to anyone. My husbands company is moving us so I know everything is insured and all that. What would you do?
Ok, you have to do what is comfortable for you. In other words, even if you have the original packaging, are you still going to worry yourself about how it is being handled until it is safely in your house? It is a matter of what you are comfortable with. If if it is just a matter of insuring at the right amount and you feel ok with possibly having to purchase a replacement, then let the movers handle. But if you let the movers handle and you are so worried during the whole process, I think you should move it yourself. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:58 PM

We have been moved by professionals several times and we always carry my machines, our computers and our guns with us. Some things you just don't trust to anyone else! As for the movers insuring them--in our moves it was only if they did the packing.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If you have the original molded foam inside the box then it should be fine. I would demand the machine be loaded last or marked LOAD LAST /UNLOAD FIRST and not have stuff piled on top of it. Movers know anyone can file a claim for damaged goods so they aren't all that careful. They want to get the job done and over the fastest way possible.
I guess I'm in the minority here, but this is what I would do as well. I would also check the insurance coverages to be sure, and if you think so, purchase additional if possible. The 'load last/unload first' is a very good suggestion.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I would trust the movers with your machine if it's packed in its original box along with all the original packing materials. After all, it was delivered by the manufacturer without being damaged.
I think the difference is that when the machines are shipped from the manufacturer, a number of them are placed on a large pallet and secured together. Then the shipping company moves and places the pallets in trucks. Because they need to make money on the shipment they are tightly packed into the shipping truck. It's a lot different process than putting a bunch of unrelated stuff in a moving van and hoping nothing moves.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
Original box and in the car! The machine is important to you not to risk it being damaged.
i agree..even with insurance,it would be a hassle if damaged
Old 12-31-2016, 02:30 PM

Take it in the car. I've moved 4 times (company moved us), and was told each time that if they move it in the original box that YOU packed, it does not guarantee reimbursement in the event of damage. As far as they're concerned, it could've been damaged when you packed before moving. If THEY pack themselves, in their boxes, it will be covered. Trust me. Take it yourself.

Last edited by cindi; 12-31-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:50 PM

I would take it myself better safe than sorry