Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Old Quilt Top >
  • Old Quilt Top

• Old Quilt Top

Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Yes, it was a shame to walk away from it. Someone had put a lot of work into it and never saw it completed...that is sad. I normally never bother with old quilts at estate sales because I have a closet full of quilts. I picked up several that day in various form of completion, and I hope to give them new life.
    Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

i've done this quilt 2 times in the past. I've continued the points on one of them, just appliqued them over a border.
    on the other one, i just put a triangle in the side to make it straight. i did black for the diamond and for the first border so it kind of floats.
    Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 AM
    Power Poster

Here is a recent discussion on binding oddly shaped edges:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...y-t284749.html
    the thread contains several links to helpful tutorials for both binding and creating a faced (pillowcase) edge treatment.
    Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaMS
    I have never thought about appliquéing to another piece of fabric. This might help with the corners since they are not straight. Could I not use something besides muslin and let that be the border of the quilt and then bind it? You have really given me something to think about. How would you do the edges? Needle turn them or do a satin stitch to cover up the raw edge?
    Definitely doesn't have to be muslin. I was only thinking of that because if you're going to back the entire thing, you want to pick something neutral that isn't going to show through the vintage fabrics. If you're not concerned with stabilizing it, you could pick any color you want -- but I agree with Tartan that you don't want to try to match the green. They won't wash the same because of the difference between modern & historical dyes.

Yes, I would needleturn it. Needle turn is a very forgiving process that will allow you to have the most control over straightening the edges. I'd honestly be concerned about satin stitching vintage fabrics. It might work, or it might damage/tear the fabric.

For quilting, unless you back it with muslin or stabilizer, this is one of those times where a machine Quilting needle is beneficial. The rounded tip can better navigate between the wider weave without damaging the vintage fabric. If you back/stabilize it, you'd need a sharper needle like a Microtex/Sharp or a Topstitch.
    Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

Looking at the edge of the shapes, they might be on the bias. Bias stretches so I might cut 1/4 inch strips of a fusible web and iron it on the wrong side of the green fabric that you want to turn under. I would then dry fold the edge under and when I had it looking good, fuse in little spots along the edge. I wouldn't fuse the whole edges until you see if they all are looking good. You may have to fudge a few areas before you completely fuse under the whole edges. Once all the edges are fused under, you can applique the quilt top edges onto a border fabric OR if the whole quilt looks kind of flimsy, perhaps appliquing it to a light weight cotton sheet would be the way to go.
    Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM

I have done a queen sized with this kind of stars, used bias binding and just binded same as any other quilt. Have another in the works now for a friend because she liked mine. I will hand quilt all the stars inthe color of the star so the back side will look like stars all over it. quilt just white in the white parts.
    Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM
    Power Poster

I second the appliqueing to a backing. lay it all out, baste how ever you like and quilt. then baste the green diamonds if not already quilted on and needle turn the green diamonds over the backing and call it done.
    Old 01-06-2017, 06:16 AM

I have a couple of pictures of an old quilt that was finished by machine appliquing the GFG blocks to a background.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]565053[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]565055[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_0880.jpg   img_0881.jpg   img_0882.jpg  
    Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 AM
    Kas

I'm thinking dark red.
    Old 01-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Great job on this save!