Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for pet owners >

A question for pet owners

A question for pet owners

Old 03-26-2017, 02:05 PM

My quilts go only to family but I generally wash and dry them then use a lint roller to remove anything that remains.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM

I don't let them on the fabric, it's just that they get on some of the furniture which the quilt might get on. Generally once I wash it I put it away so that it won't get more hair on it. I will invest in some of the tape roller lint brushes, I think that will do the trick.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM

My quilts are small and I work on the breakfast room table. I put everything away at the end of the day. It is a pain at times. The cat knows where she belongs and it isn't on top of the table or kitchen counters.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:18 PM

I use one of those Schticky rubbery rolls to pick up the hair. Cheaper than the sticky rolls and they work ... although you have to stop and rinse off the hair when it's full.....
Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 PM

we don't allow the dogs onto the furniture and only in the living room/dining area/kitchen--not in bedrooms. I also don't allow them in either the sewing room or long arm basement area. But of course, when you have house animals, you also have pet hair no matter how much you clean, etc. For charity, I wash and dry in machines and then bag immediately. For customers, I make sure that I never take a customer top out of bag except in the long arm space and then rebag before I bring it up.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:22 AM

I used to own a B&B and we had one room that accepted well-behaved dogs. Even though we asked that pets not get on the beds, I vacuumed the Amish quilt in there every time I made up the room. That and a lint roller worked well.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 AM

Our POM's are part of the family. We try to keep the fur off of the food and furniture! But.... I wash my quilts before gifting, then I put them on the dining table to roll with lint roller and package up. Have never had a complaint, if someone was offended by my dog's fur, I would just say sorry and offer to take quilt back. LOL
Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 AM

Cat hair on quilts is a big reason I had DH build me a place for the Long Arm that can be completely cat-free. I've got nowhere in the house that I could put it and have a closed door (it was in the dining room).

However I've got to stop laying floppies out on the bed unless I take off the comforter first. The cats sleep on the bed and the comforter is full of hair. So hair gets on the back side of the floppy.

if I am gifting a quilt, I bring it in from the LA and bind it, then wash and dry and it goes into a bag.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 AM

My dogs (Goldens) are not allowed in my sewing room but hair "floats" as you know. I always wash all completed quilts with Sensitive Skin, scent free laundry detergent and softener, then bag up.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I make a lot of donation quilts and I have a shedding dog. I wash the finished quilt in whatever detergent I use. Take out of dryer and put in plastic bag and take to guild to put in the pile of other donation quilts. If giving to a children's hospital, the quilts are washed in hot water with hospital detergent and dried in hot dryer at the hospital laundry before the kids get them. You may check with the group you are donating to and find out how the quilts are stored or handled before the person get it.