Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Recipe for Sour Dough Bread? >
  • Recipe for Sour Dough Bread?

• Recipe for Sour Dough Bread?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 PM
    Banned

Do you leave it set out? Refrigerator is not sourdough's best friend.
    Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 AM

Go to King Arthur's website. They have tons of recipes for bread, etc. You can even get them for the bread makers.
    Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter
    age is the key. the older your starter the more sour. when we married in ’80, my starter was too sour for hubs. instead of throwing all out, i just threw most out and fed and started new batch. that helpd lessen the sourness. i made sourdough pancakes, bread, muffins and english muffins. i have sourdough cookbooks but there's tons of recipes on net now for sourdough starter and bread items. in some regions the bacteria in local air is also flavor factor. san francisco sourdough is unique because of local air borne bacteria that flavors the starter. i also used to have a starter called "amish sourdough". lost it in one of our many & freq moves. would love to find the recipe again, even tho my oven is old and i don't dare use it for bread baking. cookies are scary enough.
    Do you do no-knead bread?
    Old 04-05-2017, 03:05 PM

When I got my starter it was already old, this is back in the 1970's, got it from a game ranger in Nevada, kept it until 1990's, we were getting to fat. The secret is the aging of the starter, the more you use it the better it gets, it can be frozen, kept in refrigerator, or out on your counter, read all you can on the subject. Quite a history of this bread can be found in library's or internet.
    Old 04-10-2017, 05:23 AM

I have done sourdough for ever. The secret is the more you use it the more the sour comes out. Feed it ,place back the amount you have taken out. Refrigerate it. as you keep pulling out the starter to make a new batch you will start to see "Grey liquid" on the saved starter. This makes your "sour". Stir it into the starter. it and carry on. At some point if it gets really sour my recipe includes adding baking soda to tone it down. Also when you need to stop using the sour dough starter, freeze it. Does well, or you can spread it out on wax paper or parchment paper and let it dry. Crumble it up and add 1 cup of liquid, let it sit until it is all rehydrated and then start the process all over again for baking bread. Also never use anything metal with it. It will take the taste of the metal.
    Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 AM

I started my own sourdough starter about 10 years ago using the instructions in the King Arthur Flour Baking Companion cookbook. It took about a week for the starter to develop---it used flour, water, a little pumpernickel/rye flour and a teaspoon of molasses----no yeast---the concept is to provide the medium for the natural yeast in the air in your kitchen to develop and grow. I have been using this same starter ever since. Store it in the refrigerator when not baking---just take it out and feed it every 2 weeks if you aren't baking that often. I have read that different regions have different natural yeasts and that is why sourdough flavors can vary so much, besides the age of your starter. Try it, it makes the best crusty bread!!!