Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I Figured Something Out Today >
  • I Figured Something Out Today

• I Figured Something Out Today

Old 07-04-2017, 05:04 AM

I made several log cabins using Eleanor Burns' pattern. Never had any trouble. That was before I was told to starch, preshrink and etc.
    Old 07-04-2017, 05:09 AM

Honestly, I just really don't enjoy any piecing. I prefer to do applique or whole cloth quilts. All that precision cutting & piecing just sucks the fun out of the process for me. I enjoy looking at the pieced quilts/tops that others have created and even love sketching out possible quilting designs for them, but I just do not enjoy making them. I kept trying for quite a while, but few of them got finished and my UFO pile (or ... what's that other acronym about only having cut pieces in bags?) grew & grew.

I can happily sit & work on the most intricate applique designs -- or have fun working with inks and paints and beads and whatnot -- but I really try to keep the piecing down to the bare minimum. I will say that I have found paper piecing much easier and more enjoyable than regular piecing. So, on the occasion that I need to piece something for a quilt guild project, I try to use that method. It means I do not have to worry about precision cutting.
    Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

I made a Bargello pattern once and I won't make it again. It was tedious sewing. Jenny's Disappearing Hourglass block is one of my favorites to make. I didn't care for the Disappearing Pinwheel one.
    Old 07-04-2017, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

Anything with triangles makes me cringe. I am just not good at them. There are many projects I can do that don't have them so I am happy. I have made two Log Cabins and they came out fine, other than sometimes putting a strip on the wrong side.
    Old 07-04-2017, 05:52 AM

Several years ago I tried paper piecing - I hated it. Then one day I picked it up again - loved it. I think I was just having a bad day when I first tried it. Love the log cabin blocks.
    Old 07-04-2017, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

It's funny how we all gravitate to different aspects of quilting. When I want something easy that doesn't take much thinking I start a scrappy log cabin. I use Judy Martin's method - pre-cut all the logs to size, so the block has no chance of going wonky on you. I don't use any special rulers. I love the needle work of hand applique, but I don't enjoy the tracing, cutting, whatever is necessary to prepare all the pieces, so I turn to piecing instead.
    Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 AM

Here is a tip for a better log cabin. Make the last round bigger and then trim to the perfect size. If you are using 2 inch strips---make the last round 2 1/4 or even 2 1/2. Volia---perfect.
    Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 AM

I didn't like making log cabin blocks but loved the quilts. Tried the following and now love them.

[url]https://www.frommarti.com/LC_cut_right.shtml[
    Old 07-04-2017, 07:16 AM

Anything requiring paper piecing. It's like I have to abandon everything I've learned about piecing!!
    Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 AM

I thought I would like Jenny Doan's Disappearing Hourglass , it looked so easy. I am a seasoned piecer and I should know better than to deal with all that bias. There is a huge problem with cutting the hourglass block into pieces. *** If you make this quilt trim your HST to 6 1/2 inch before you sew them into the hourglass block. If you do not do this your slicing of the hourglass block will not be right. So glad I love the fabrics I chose, Moda's Pondicherry because it will be a beautiful quilt. That pattern is not easy, fast nor fun! (yes... I was careful with bias, starching etc, I did all that and still it was a pain. lol)