Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone done a scrappy front And back? >

Has anyone done a scrappy front And back?

Has anyone done a scrappy front And back?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:18 AM

I always piece my backs with left over scraps from the front side. My girlfriend calls it a surprise bonus when she turns them over.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I've never done it but I think it's a great idea! I'll have to remember this.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:03 AM

I do all my quilting on either my PQ 1500s, my PC420PRW or my vintage vx560, so I can only speak to using domestics as sit down quilters, have never used a long arm for quilting. That said, I frequently use scraps to piece the backs of my quilts. Most of the time I have some large areas of the backs that are not pieced as well as areas which use smaller pieced scraps. I’ve never noticed any problem free motion quilting over the areas where I used the smaller pieces of scraps in the back while Fmq as long as the foot will go over those areas. Hopping feet have worked just fine, but when using a floating ruler foot, then sometimes the foot will need to be temporarily adjusted higher in order to clear bulkier spots. Some ruler feet have a thumb screw mounted on the foot itself that makes the height adjustment quick and easy, others need to be adjusted by loosening the screw that holds the foot onto the machine moving the foot up a little and then retightening the screw, then repeating the process once the foot has cleared that area, which is time consuming and gets tedious.

If you’re using a walking foot to quilt, it would depend on your machine’s ability to feed thick fabric. You might need to “give it a hand “ when going over thicker areas where multiple seams come together in both the front and the back.

As long as your machine isn’t snagging over the seams and you are using a strong needle like a topstitch needle you should be fine as far as needle breakage goes.

Rob
Old 10-13-2017, 06:09 AM

I use a long arm and generally no problems with pieced backs--just know that it's hard to line up designs on the long arm as it rolls (think of rolling up a magazine and what happens to the pages). My only time it was an issue is when the customer gave me a pieced back that had several different fabrics and one had the straight of grain going a different direction which stretched differently--hard to avoid puckers. With pieced blocks it's never been a problem.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:14 AM

I'm wondering why you would want to do this?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I don't know about the original poster, but I did it because I made the scrappy Sunny Lanes and then realized it was for my orderly first born daughter, so I switched to the 9 patch/snowball that wasn't scrappy. I didn't like the orderliness, which is why I added the strip of appliqued flowers. Finally, I decided to give her both quilts. Result - two sided.
Quilted on a Singer 301 with a inexpensive size 12 needle.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM

I will be quilting it on a longarm (pfaff grand quilter)....and I'm new at it...so....yipes!

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
What machine do you plan to quilt it on? I know my little Brother would hiccup and protest with the extra bulk in the seams, but my old Singer 15-91 eats seams and bulk like it's not there. I think the Jukis would do the same as a lot of quilters love them.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 AM

It's more of a saver issue for me. I have a few scrappies in the works (or some are floppies ready to be quilted) and I was thinking they aren't anything special where I would want something closer to "my level" of perfection (which is far from it! ha!). So I was just thinking to use them together, have a reversible quilt, might be a way to go.

But with all the seams I was leary.
Still need to think on this one. Like others have said, maybe using a pieced backing with less "design" or seams might be a better way to start.

Okay....and I have a LOT of scraps.
LOL
Old 10-13-2017, 10:00 AM

There are several reasons why I might do a pieced back a. It helps me use up the scraps left over from piecing the front, b. I may not have quite enough coordinating fabric for the back of the quilt so I will piece something into it, c. I want to use up other scraps, d. Just because LOL, d. I want to make the back more interesting...

Rob
Old 10-13-2017, 10:45 AM

I have done scrappy on both sides and have taken it to a LA to be quilted. She said it would be fine and no problem to quilt.