Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilting in hoop question >
  • quilting in hoop question

• quilting in hoop question

Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by linmid
    ... Had not thought about the magnetic hoop. Has anyone tried one?
    i invested in a magnetic hoop.
    worth every penny!

i bought the largest size available for my make/model.
    that way i won't have to buy any other sizes.

no more stretching the quilt out of shape trying to get a taut embroidery surface.
    i still have to tug here and there to get it taut but since it's all flat between the top and bottom hoops it doesn't leave marks or permanent changes to the quilt sandwich shape, etc.

they are expensive but worth saving up for if you can't fit it into your budget right now.
    Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 AM

I have quilted on both a Pfaff and Babylock. It takes practice, but the results are worth it. Use the hoop grids that come with the machine to center.
    Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 AM

I have a PE770 and I've never used 90 wt. thread in the bobbin. I tried it and always had problems. I use 40 wt. just like the top thread without any problems. I have since upgraded to an Innovis NQ1400 but I still have the PE770. I use 40 wt. in the bobbin on the Innovis too.
    Old 01-28-2018, 03:30 PM

You don't have to hoop the quilt block. You can hoop sticky stabilizer in the hoop. Lay the quilt block on top matching center points. I attach in corners with straight pins making sure it will NOT hit anyway on design. Embroider design.

I do the same with tear-away stabilizer as I don't' like using sticky stabilizer. Sometimes I stitch a large basting block around the embroidery design that comes out after stitching design. The basting block holds everything to the stabilizer.
    Old 01-28-2018, 03:56 PM

Default Civil war in the hoop

I quilt whole quilts up to 60 wide on my Husqvarna SE in a 6x6 quilting hoop. Once u do allot of them it gets easier to just eye ball hoop and go
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 PM
    Gay

When quilting in the hoop, I only put either the backing or top fabric in the hoop, and place the batting and the 'second' fabric on top or under. I do use a few pins to hold in place but no stabilizer.
    My Brothers have never given me problems with thread, I use all sorts.
    If using an embroidery design, I would do that first, with batting in the hoop, then put the backing underneath before the quilting is done,

Last edited by Gay; 01-28-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gay
    When quilting in the hoop, I only put either the backing or top fabric in the hoop, and place the batting and the 'second' fabric on top or under. I do use a few pins to hold in place but no stabilizer.
    My Brothers have never given me problems with thread, I use all sorts.
    If using an embroidery design, I would do that first, with batting in the hoop, then put the backing underneath before the quilting is done,
    Me Too...When emb'ing blocks or whole quilts no stabilizer. Make your quilt sandwich and go...
    Old 01-29-2018, 05:51 AM

I don't hoop for quilting..not the entire hoop, anyway. I use only the bottom part of the hoop that attaches--lay my quilt over, and clip it around the edges of the hoop with binder clips. I'm sure there are other clips that would be less cumbersome, but this has worked for the few times I've used them.
    Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 AM

I don't know about the PE770 but I have a Brother and a Viking for years now and use whatever thread I chose. Sometimes I might have to change the position where it sits but other than that its all good. I too use the same thread in the top and bobbin. I have different bobbin spool boxes for each machine, one had cotton thread and the other has rayon for embroidery. I just started a new one for C&C stretch thread. I love my machines because they both have decent hoop sizes and fairly good harp space, especially my Viking. Good luck with you quilting.
    Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the information. Guess I will save up and buy one. How many extra magnets did you buy? Or how many do you normally use? I think the hoop comes with four, and I was planning to buy 4 more.