Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology >
  • Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology

• Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology

Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 AM

Default Love ALL my June Taylors!

I LOVE the JTs and have a bunch of them in different sizes. I have one Stripology and no more. It's heavier and I have to be more particular about the fabric fold and placement top to bottom. This JT slipping problem I solved long ago with a trip to Lowes. I bought two huge plastic covered metal clamps and use them on both sides of the bottom of the ruler and the edge of the cutting mat. NO slippage ever! I cut for a charity bee and my JTs along with my Accuquilt Go get me there with ease every month.

PS.I keep a set of JTs at my little summer fishing shack as well. All bought on sale!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 04-09-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Old 04-09-2018, 05:08 AM

The JT is to short for lots of cutting. The Stripology lets you cut up to 20" instead of 12". So you want to cut 4 strips of border you can cut all of them before you have to move the ruler. I love the Stripology ruler. I believe they are making it now slightly wider.
    Old 04-09-2018, 05:54 AM

I am also a fan of JTs, and the fabric can be folded more than once before cutting. I did learn a hard lesson recently. I was using one of the JT rulers and I forgot to put on my protective glove (a very rare occurrence!). The ruler is very flat so there is nothing to remind myself to keep the finger out of the way. Yes, I did cut a thin layer of skin off the finger, yikes. I went to ER where a liquid bandage was applied. It looks like crazy glue and it stayed there until it came off by itself.
    Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

Patchwork, the JT comes in multiple sizes. The JT Pro is similar in size to the rectangular Stripology. Like mhollifiel above, I find the dimensions of the JT better.
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 AM
    Power Poster

I pulled out my Stripology and June Tailor mats to take a look at them -- something I should have done to begin with!

The JT Shape Cut Pro is their largest mat and is *not* the one to compare to Stripology. The one that compares to Stripology is the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus.

Unless Creative Grids has changed the Stripology mat, it is actually shorter than the Shape Cut Plus. Now I remember that was something I did not like about the Stripology. Using my 60mm cutter, I could not cut all the way to the end of my fabric; had to use scissors on the end. That was the big reason I was disappointed in it.

I have both mats out, and the Shape Cut Plus cutting slots are 1.25" longer than the Stripology slots. The Stripology has 4 more cutting slots than the JT.

The Stripology definitely has more grip than the JT; the JT is "slippy" by comparison. However, I actually like the moveability of the JT because it makes it easier for me to line up the mat with my fabric fold. And I get around the "slippiness" of the mat while cutting by placing my Slidelock ruler on top of the JT mat. (I do that with a lot of my rulers.)

Hope this information is helpful to someone. I will have the rulers out for the rest of the day if anyone wants me to check on some detail.
    Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 AM
    Power Poster

Had a few minutes, so I measured the two mats.

The Stripology (this is the rectangular mat, not the square one) has slots that are 12.5" long, and there are 20 slots a half inch apart.

The June Tailor Shape Cut Plus has slots that are just slightly over 14" long, and there are 18 slots a half inch apart.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier. I have a lot to do today and apparently my brain is not fully functioning yet.
    Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
    Power Poster

I just pulled out my June Tailor Quarter Cut mat. That one has slots that are not quite 9.5" long, but it has slots every quarter-inch instead of every half-inch. It is smaller than the Stripology, so not comparable.
    Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM

I am currently using the JT with those slots and have been for many years and I always thought it was too flimsy and I'd get those wonky squares if I weren't very careful. I had no idea that there is an alternative. Stripology sound like they will correct my problem,... but they ARE expensive. Hobby Lobby is my favorite for supplies and they don't carry them. Anybody know where to get Stripology at a discount?