Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Menorah or cross manipulation? >
  • Menorah or cross manipulation?

• Menorah or cross manipulation?

Old 06-17-2018, 04:40 PM

I guess I'd have to see the finished product. I've seen many things and have had to be told "that is such and such." Half the time I don't know what I'm looking at. A cross is in essence a "T". I've seen many variations used in a quilt design. I don't get offended. I can appreciate another's point of view, and artistic interpretation. Might not like it, but appreciate it none the less. Perhaps make one and post here for comments.
    Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM

No more insulting than cutting up prints of our national flag. I would try to center a cross, star of david, or candle in each kaleidoscope segment, for example, but that is more to emphasize the symbol than to be PC.
    Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 AM

I’d say no just to protect yourself from s barrage of comments. If you have a business you don’t want to risk offending any one group even a small one. Customer service is your lifeline. Once it’s done you can’t unring that bell.
    Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    I think we worry too much about offending somebody else. There’s no end to it. Life doesn’t stop because somebody has a different thought from yours. My thought is it’s just fabric. Do your thing & enjoy it. If somebody has an issue with it, they can keep marching on.
    I agree. However, we are living in strange times. There's that recent stink about "Cultural appropriation" when that girl wore a Japanese styled dress to her prom. Just be prepared to get zapped if you do it. I actually don't think many/any Jewish people would be offended, but then, I don't think any/many Japanese people were offended by the prom dress.

Echoing what someone else said, I wouldn't mix it with other religious symbols, unless the symbols are also Jewish.

If it were me, I'd make the quilt, but I don't sell quilts. I think the online part is the issue. A lot more people will see your quilt than would see mine.

bkay
    Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM

I think some people just look for things to "be offended at". I would do what you want and don't react to those who like to try to get under our skin.
    Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM

My opinion is better to not turn menorahs into crosses. You could think of it another way, such as would you use marijuana printed fabric?
    Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful and respectful comments. I think I will play with the piecing and post it here. Now if I could just remember where I put that beautiful fabric!
    Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry
    If anything, I think using the fabric in your designs shows a type of embracing of the religions. If it were my “thing” I think I would seek out interesting art made from my religious symbols.
    This is more what I'm going for. Embracing & honoring. I see so much decor available for Christmas and so little for Jewish Holidays. And this pattern is my style.
    Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 AM

The cross and the menorah are symbols with deep meaning, but it is on fabric. If it is just the cross, no figure of Christ on it, go ahead and cut it. Seeing Christ cut up, I know I wouldn't be upset or angry about it, just not buying your table runner. Still it would be interesting to see. You sound like a very talented quilter and I hope you will post a pictures soon.
    Old 06-20-2018, 08:56 AM

The cross may be a symbol of torture, but it is also a symbol of salvation, mercy, forgiveness, eternal love. The menorah is a symbol of a miracle that occurred, thru God,during a time of crisis. It matters not how you use the fabric, it will be a symbol of your skill.