Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charm pack question >

Charm pack question

Charm pack question

Old 08-29-2018, 04:43 AM

I had many fabrics in charm packs and layer cakes that I couldn't use because of the directional print being cut on a slight angle. Expensive waste.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 AM

The problem is not the cut, it is the fabric. So very many of the fabrics do not have the fabric printed straight. Almost every shift I work, I have a customer complain that my cut isn't straight. I show them with straight line rulers that it is the print being offline. If there is a print you truly love but are concerned that you can't make it look straight, I would suggest you purposely make it angled and save the frustration.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I mostly by pre cuts instead of yardage. I have never had a problem. I ignore the pinked edges, see them as solid. The directional prints are cut from yardage and the yardage is stacked going lengthwise. There are lots of videos online how pre cuts are cut and assembled by the big manufactures. A lot of shops cut their own pre cuts. I stay with the manufacturers cuts. Easier to get a replacement from the shop, most don't like to admit they cut wrong but have no qualms about replacing the manufacturer ones.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by heron View Post
I'm about to order a couple of charm packs for the first time, but before I do, I have a question. If the pack includes fabrics that have a directional print, can I count on them having been cut so the pattern is straight?

Here's an example: https://www.fatquartershop.com/timeless-charm-pack

I'd hate to buy the pack only to find out that the print isn't aligned to the cut edge of the 5" square.

Thanks.
Order from Jordan Fabrics. He hand cuts everything and has a very good reputation.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I have bought from Jordan's Fabrics and have no complaint at all about their pre cuts.