Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inconsistent stitch length: help please >

Inconsistent stitch length: help please

Inconsistent stitch length: help please

Old 09-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

It also looks like drag to me. Remember that the machine should not be expected to actually feed the weight of the quilt thru the machine. You need to have a small 'bump' of fabric in front of the foot so the IDT can actually function. Puddling the quilt is usually a better way to go than spreading it out in a single layer.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Is the surface around your machine flat? Here is a pic of a table to show you an example.

https://www.sewsteady.com/collection...oducts/sst-big

If the quilt is dropping off the edge, it will cause drag or pulling on the quilt.

You can also stack large books around the edge of the machine. Other options for adding height could be copy paper, scrapbook boxes, etc.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:42 PM
Gay

Another thought - could the quilt be bunching up behind the foot, causing it to not feed through, or even getting caught on the IDT. Both have happened to me and I could never get used to using a walking foot or the IDT.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Another thought is that you may need to adjust the presser foot for the thickness of the quilt sandwich.
Jackpot! Thank you so much Dunster. I really appreciate this.

I read through some articles and found two helpful videos:
https://youtu.be/ilpqoN87Siw
which explains how to adjust the presser foot pressure on my machine

and https://youtu.be/Ox8qRhWF3CI
which explains how to adjust the pressure based on what is being sewn and multiple machine types. She has a great explanation of how it all works together.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Is your machine recessed down into your sewing table so the machine bed is even with all of the table surfaces? This really looks to me like drag created when the edges of the quilt hang over the sewing machine bed before it is reaching the needle (in cases where the machine is not recessed down into a sewing table)

If it is recessed, I still think it is a drag issue. Maybe the weight of the quilt dragging off the edge of the table directly in front of you?

If it isn't a recessed set up you could try piling up some phone books or something to have a larger surface area for the quilt to rest on as you are feeding it into the machine. A long time ago, someone posted a picture of their setup. They got some of the really thick foam insulation and built a surface all around their machine bed so everything was level with it. Another option is the one Dunster described building a system hanging from the ceiling to support the quilt's weight.

Hello Feline Fanatic. After considering this and presser foot pressure, I did some experimentation and found the presser foot pressure has had a very good effect. Still not right but getting closer. As soon as I can get back to sewing, I will adjust my table setup as well. The table behind my sewing surface is a foot shorter than the surface. Luckily, its height is adjustable. I will work with it today. I'm feeling optimistic about these changes and hope to post a picture of consistent stitch length. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:13 AM

Hello Prism99. I would love to read that article. My, limited experience, has made me question the effectiveness of IDT for quilting. I have a walking foot for my Brother and get such better results even though it is an inexpensive, entry-level machine...I will see if it can be used it on the Pfaff.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:15 AM

Nannykins8 -- I will try this. It sounds logical to me that it would help the IDT better engage. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Another thought - could the quilt be bunching up behind the foot, causing it to not feed through, or even getting caught on the IDT. Both have happened to me and I could never get used to using a walking foot or the IDT.
Yes, Gay, I have seen evidence of this already. It improved when I was able to set a piece of glass behind my machine. It also made the remainder of my table the same height of my Sew Steady extension table. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a way to remedy this pooling. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 AM

I had not thought of this before, PaperPrincess, but it certainly makes sense. I will try this. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:35 AM

The open toe foot is not flat on the bottom. It is cut out for thick thread stitches. Try using the "standard" foot that is flat on the bottom. It will give you better traction.