Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Is nostalgia enough to need a machine? >
  • Is nostalgia enough to need a machine?

• Is nostalgia enough to need a machine?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 AM

I have to add my 201 is luxury to work on. The flat bed in a table is very nice, and it runs very nice, and I can let you know the old machines have their advantages. A 301 should be a nice addition to your DC1050, the modern machines have zigzag and nice stitch patterns, and it's hard to do without them. The 301 is probably better at sewing flat felled seams with top stitch thread, handeling reasonably heavy bull canvas if you ever do that. The straight stitch plate makes it handle sheer and flimsy fabrics rather well. I don't think you will regret going for a 301. A clean and lubricted 301 should in run noticeably faster than the average computerised model.
    Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM

If you are in the Phoenix area you have a great sewing machine repair shop. It's Mulqueens and the one in Mesa has a great shop and they sell a lot of used machines - you would probably test them out and get all sorts of help. Compared to the shops in San Diego, Mulqueens in so reasonable. You might want to check with them before buying from a private party. They give a brief warranty and you know it was serviced recently.
    Old 11-28-2018, 12:47 PM

I sew on my mom's 1974 Kenmore and it makes me happy every time I use it. A real workhorse, all-metal machine. I did have to learn how to oil it but the manuel made it easy. I love vintage anything!
    Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2
    A clean and lubricted 301 should in run noticeably faster than the average computerised model.
    Mine does run like a racehorse! I was at a class with my Bernina and the lady next to me said "Do you always sew that fast?" I wasn't aware that I did sew fast. Then I got the old 301 that I learned to sew on out and was using it and realized that it was probably the reason I sewed fast. I learned on it and it seems to have 2 speeds. Stop and ZOOM!
    Old 11-28-2018, 01:42 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, you need one. In my opinion it is the best of the old singers, better then a Feather Weight. It has a build in handle, slant needle and it is super light yet full size. I have a lot of machines especially vintage. If you can still count how many machines you have, you definitely need this one and use it. After we bought it, my husband checked the cords and oiled it and it has kept going ever since. You can also bring it in and have it check over. The main concern, after knowing if it works, is the ellectric, frayed cords etc. I use mine for piecing. I have a Bernina 830, vintage, and Janome 6500 that I use a walking or applique foot on.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    ...I learned on it and it seems to have 2 speeds. Stop and ZOOM!
    LOL, you inherited a race horse. I think it's the pedal though, it needs to be sorted out, a bit of cleaning and adjusting a scew inside. The old button bakelite pedals have gradual speed and are better than their reputation.
    Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM

Nostalgia will draw you to your machine quicker than anything. And if it runs well, you will probably use it more than your other machines. I've wanted a 301 but I really don't need one. (Like that has stopped me from bringing home "strays".) I would go with quiltingcandy's advice if I were in the Phoenix area.
    Old 11-28-2018, 07:16 PM

The Singer 301 was introduced for Singer’s Centennial. After WW2 the Japanese were allowed to copy Singer’s machines. Singer decided to blow away the old sewing machines with their new design. They built the Anderson plant to produce these new marvels, all aluminum,slant needle, convertible from cabinet to portable in seconds. Sixteen pounds or so, with a built in handle. They are capable of around sixteen hundred stitches per minute, as opposed to the eight hundred or thereabouts from the older machines. With the included button hole attachment they make the prettiest buttonholes I’ve ever seen. I have a walking foot from Sew Classic, and it works great on the 301. I inherited my mom’s, she received it on Christmas in 1957, along with the Monterey folding table. Later I purchased another one from Craigslist. I use them both pretty often, you won’t be disappointed if you get one.
    Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Sewjourner
    The Singer 301 was introduced for Singer’s Centennial.
    I have one of the first run 301s. Serial #NA0056xx.

Cari
    Old 11-29-2018, 08:24 AM

Well, I've spoken with the seller who is a collector herself (she'd fit right in here with you all), and is just selling off *part* of her collection -there are about a dozen other Singers up as well. We spoke of bobbins, cables, threads and such, and I'll actually get to test it out this week! There is also the card table for the longbed base that it flush fits into - not a desk, but a true square card table in great shape from what I can see. Hopefully all goes well and my next post will be a picture of it in my home!