Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone done Tea Time Placemats? >
  • Has anyone done Tea Time Placemats?

• Has anyone done Tea Time Placemats?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:47 AM

I've done Judy's One Leaf pattern which is close to the Tea Time Pattern. I didn't think it was that difficult. The instructions are a bit different than anything else in the quilting genre, and take some getting used to. If you already are familiar with paper piecing it should go smoothly. She does spend time and effort getting the correct fabric grain lines for the pieces and I think that is always important for piecing of any kind. There are two sets of papers, one set has the actual foundations for the piecing, and the other set has the cutting templates that orient the fabric on grain for you. Hence the twenty pages.
    I think she's beginning to move away from the "classes only" venue to some simpler patterns like Stepping Stones and One Leaf that do not require a certified instructor, and her new Amethyst pattern where you log on to YouTube to watch and follow along. Also, the April issue of American Patchwork & Quilting has a new pattern, Rustic Mountain Snowflake. I did that one in a couple days, mostly because I took so long to decide on my fabrics.
    Read through the directions and take it step by step, I think you'll do fine. I'm always trying to figure out why do I have to do it this way, what's the deal, instead of just going along. Yep, the most stubborn, reinvent the wheel person out there, and if I can do it, you can too!
    Old 02-27-2019, 08:00 AM

I haven’t done this pattern but I did do a beginner Judy Neimeyer pattern called stained glass. She does use a very specific technique, it’s not hard but I was glad I did mine in the context of a class rather than trying to figure it out on my own. Once I understood the process, I had no trouble working on it independently.

Youve picked out a beautiful pattern!
    Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the vote ladies.

I got as far as reading the whole 12 pages. Again. And got as far as cutting the initial strips and labeling bags. I think I am going to give it a rest until the weekend when I am up at our cabin in my sewing room. Better light and I'll be refreshed from not working all day first.

I'll let you know how it goes, but thanks again for the vote. hobbykat, I might check that out, just to get the idea. Thanks for the heads-up about Craftsy!
    Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Judy Neimeyer's patterns are rather complex and intimidating. If you haven't done much paper piecing, go to youtube and find some help there. Also, do you know someone who is more experienced in paper piecing who could help you?