Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt for an engineering major--need ideas please! >
  • Quilt for an engineering major--need ideas please!

• Quilt for an engineering major--need ideas please!

Old 05-03-2019, 06:06 PM

I think you could have a lot of fun with robot fabrics if you could find any and/or designs which are easier to find. I did a quick look at equilter and there wasn't much fabric related but a couple of patterns. One of which was stretching the robot idea a bit thinner and was appliqued Cogs that I thought had a lot of potential but then I don't applique.

I like to put in some pretty subtle jokes and have been thinking about saying something in morse code (dots and dashes) in a border or in sashing rows. Binary a bit more limited but also a possibility, as could punch card code -- all easily googled. It could just look like a scrap quilt but if you knew the secret you could read a message...

I spent most of my working career with engineers, they always wanted to know how many pieces there were so I would include that in the card or label.

My own inner geek has been playing with the idea of a DNA helix in the standard color codes done basically as a bargello to get that double helix shape.

Have you ever looked at any of the temperature quilts? There are a number of different ways of doing them, is a fun google search if nothing else. Basic idea is you color code the daily temperature at a place for a year, typically with the daily high and low. You put those together as bars, each month a set and so forth.
    Old 05-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Maybe something with gears....either a fabric or this quilt.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...rom-man-sewing
    He has a tutorial here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVBmh_yJpDE
    Old 05-04-2019, 06:08 AM
    mkc

I second the vote for choosing fabrics with a fun "tech" pattern, rather than doing a particular quilt pattern, so the engineering/science theme is in the details rather than the big picture.

And I'm speaking as an engineer ;-)

Several years ago I made a quilt and there was a fabric design called "paper bag" that had tech notebook-inspired calculations and diagrams. Much like the doodles a techie might do on their napkin at lunch (yes, we had lunchtime scratch paper in the cafeteria).
    Old 05-04-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    There is some awesome Big Bang Theory fabrics that have numbers and calculations. There's also another line that I can't remember the name of that has the same type of thing.

Rob Appell has one that has gears that I think is amazing. I want to make that one for my husband.
    Sorry Cashs Mom --- I missed your initial response )
    Old 05-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Spoonflower has a lot of different "math" fabrics. It's a bit pricey but might be what you are looking for. As for a pattern, I don't have any suggestions for you. I'm sure your niece will love whatever you make for her.

https://www.spoonflower.com/en/shop?...t=best-sellers
    Old 05-04-2019, 06:56 PM

you could do science and math fabrics and then intersperse robots from popular culture like C3PO and R2D2 from Star Wars for example, Data from Star Trek is another one. CaliQuiltCo on Etsy (formerly Stitch Stash Diva) has a great science fabric collection. Been married to an engineer for a long time and he loves popular culture, working on a Star Wars/Star Trek/Dr Who quilt for him and I'm using fabric with physics equations as my back and binding and as a more low volume fabric in the quilt
    Old 05-05-2019, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by marand
    My niece will be entering college for mechanical engineering in the Fall. I'd like to make her a graduation from high school quilt to bring to school. I really don't want to do a T shirt quilt as I did that for another family member. Do you have any ideas on something clever that may relate to her major. She likes to build things, was in robotics club, etc..... Thanks in advance. You all never disappoint!
    This is only my opinion, but just make her a beautiful quilt is colors that your niece loves. Perhaps, if she is going to live on campus in the dorms, make it extra long. I have recently retired from a university and my position as a student advisor. University students change their major and the focus of their work several times before graduation. Dedicating your time to creating a quilt on just this area of study, that is at least 50% likely to change, may be, not a waste of time, but loss of your time planning to honor your niece. If she is a modern type of gal make her a modern quilt. There are so many patterns available. If she is a traditional gal, use a traditional pattern in colors she loves and encourage her in a card or note in her adventure into mechanical engineering.

I saw the post by Peaso and that is a terrific idea, traditional but with a touch of whimsy with the background. Have fun with your planning, quilting and gifting.
    Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 AM

How about the Frank Lloyd Wright quilt patterns? There are a variety of them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-05-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link
    Old 05-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Peaso
    My Great nephew is also graduating from high school and will be studying engineering in college. His Mom said he didn’t collect any t-shirts through High school. Found fabric that had math and chemistry equations. Used one of Deb Tucker’s Block Buster patterns. He will be playing football at the U. The U’s colors are dark & med blue and white. Since engineering seems to me to black and white I used those colors in the main part of the pattern with the school colors just in the corners of each block.
    I’ll get it on the longarm in the morning.
    This is a great quilt - with the perfect fabric for a college engineering major, etc. Well Done Great Auntie.. Well Done.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-05-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 05-05-2019, 09:17 PM

Definitely use a Fibonaccisequence in the border. That'll be popular with her.