Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Floating quilt top Pros and Cons >
  • Floating quilt top Pros and Cons

• Floating quilt top Pros and Cons

Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 AM

here is mine

I ordered mine from paracord planet and it came very quickly. I bought an assortment of clips so got several colors. I live rural and this was not something I could pick up locally.

Because of how my frame is constucted, I was able to thread the cord between the side supports. Very easy to attach and take down if needed.

I was using a long tape ruler before, but it was a lot more work and I had to write down what the measurement was, and sometimes I'd forget or measure wrong. This way once I set the marker, I can forget everything else.

I had originally set up two cords with the second one at the back, but found the back one was more often in the way than helpful so I removed it.

BTW - that pink thing you can see under the frame is a long frame my DH made that I made a "bag" for. It runs the length of the frame and it's where I tuck in the batting and top so I'm not stepping on it. I tired different clips to help hold the top out of the way, but never came up with anything I liked better. When I need to, I can easily flip the top out to check on the batting. My frame is designed to have the top mounted to the upper bar (the one that has nothing on it) and I had already gone to floating my tops so never installed the velcro to hold the leaders on that bar. I've always felt I needed to leave it there, but when I loosen the top for quilting, it really is serving no purpose . . . I may try taking it off as it sure would be easier to mount everything with it gone. I do have the holders so I can lift it out of the way for mounting the batting and top.

Last edited by Macybaby; 05-07-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Thank you so much for all this information!! Ellen
    Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 AM

Re “the pink thing” for your batting. I have 3 plastic tubs under my machine that I usually accordion fold my batting and quilt top on. Recently I started pinning the accordion fold on the top and batting. I like this a lot better. It is a bit more work but easier to handle.
    Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM

When I first started longarming I attached my quilt tops bottom and top and soon decided to float my tops. I always float my tops now because I have more control with dealing with any issues that come up. I quilt for one friend that has never made a square quilt top and when I didn't float her tops I made myself crazy dealing with fullness and borders that were off. With floating I am able to maneuver each roll and adjust as needed. I baste the sides and if need be through the center of a pass. Everyone has to decide what is best for them as there are no set rules to go by.
    Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 AM

I just got my 15" midarm this spring, so I am learning alot but at a slow pace. This is very helpful as my frame does not have a top take up bar. Macybaby what is that board on the end of your frame for? I am looking for a way to put lights on my frame without paying an additional $500. Thou not my question, thanks for the info I need all the help I can get!!!
    Old 05-08-2019, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Cindi, did you make this cord or where can it be purchased? I would like to try this. When I first got my machine “they” explained how to do this with the 120” measuring tape (velcroed on each end to machine frame). I never had any success with this.

Thank you Macybay for the explanation and Cindi’s photo made it crystal clear.
    I bought the cording at Home Depot, and the clips from Amazon for about $7/20 clips. Twenty clips is the perfect number. My cording doesn’t stretch. Some people like it to stretch, some don’t. It’s a personal preference.
    Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88
    When I first started longarming I attached my quilt tops bottom and top and soon decided to float my tops. I always float my tops now because I have more control with dealing with any issues that come up. I quilt for one friend that has never made a square quilt top and when I didn't float her tops I made myself crazy dealing with fullness and borders that were off. With floating I am able to maneuver each roll and adjust as needed. I baste the sides and if need be through the center of a pass. Everyone has to decide what is best for them as there are no set rules to go by.
    Your friend is my friend! :-)
    Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cindi
    I bought the cording at Home Depot, and the clips from Amazon for about $7/20 clips. Twenty clips is the perfect number. My cording doesn’t stretch. Some people like it to stretch, some don’t. It’s a personal preference.

Oh great. Thank you for these tips. My guess is, the less stretch the less chance to get “off kilter.” What is the weight/size of the cording?
    Old 05-08-2019, 01:32 PM

mine is stretchy, and I stretched it a lot to get enough firmness to it. But I can still easily lift it up if needed to make it easier to get the batting underneath. It might move around a bit but so far has always gone back to where it was when I set the clips.
    Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Oh great. Thank you for these tips. My guess is, the less stretch the less chance to get “off kilter.” What is the weight/size of the cording?
    It is 1/8” cord.