Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Age of quilt? >

Age of quilt?

Age of quilt?

Old 12-25-2020, 04:48 PM

best guess is 30's and maybe feedsacks. I'd definitely recommend you get it appraised. I would not repair anything at this point before appaisal. But then I'd close any fabric gaps, probably not replace binding. and hand wash in the bathtub by putting in a plastic laundry basket, filling tub with RetroClean or Restoration (check at local quilt shop) and use as instructed. The basket allows you to swish up/down and lift out of tub without putting weight on the stitches. Then lay flat to dry (use plastic or a couple of sheets underneath. (I sometimes use a fan over it to aid drying). If the appraisal shows 1930's I'd put it on a spare bed or over end of bed to keep it from wear and tear or sunlight.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:24 PM

What a treasure! I would guess the fabrics are feed sack prints for the 30's and 40's.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:40 PM

Some of the fabrics look like flour sacks. I have several vintage flour sacks from my husbands grandmother and are similar to some of prints. Some look like they may be fabric from blouses/women’s clothing and children’s clothing.too...definitely a scrap quilt...definitely hand pieced then tied. 30’s and 40’s would be my guess, too. Lucky find! And, welcome to the board and quilting...

Last edited by Teen; 12-25-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Would also add that quilts are dated from their newest fabrics--which is why I'd probably not replace binding if this turns out to be a feedsack 30's quilt! What a find!

And Welcome to the Board.