Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok Quilters...What is your #1 reason for why you enjoy Quilting ! >

Ok Quilters...What is your #1 reason for why you enjoy Quilting !

Ok Quilters...What is your #1 reason for why you enjoy Quilting !

Old 09-24-2021, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I love playing with pretty fabrics and making a quilt come to life.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:19 AM

I’ve loved sewing since I was pretty young. It’s relaxing and rewarding to create something from fabric. I think I also enjoy the fabric hoarding part too - love thinking about what I can create!
Old 09-24-2021, 05:19 AM

ummm....so much more enjoyable than drinking.....and almost as good as eating chocolate!
Old 09-24-2021, 05:50 AM

I guess I just enjoy the journey- picking a pattern I like, find some material I can't live without even though have no definite purpose for it, the planning of a quilt, the cutting and then putting it together. It takes me away of some of the problems we are now having in our country. Right now I just finished putting a wildlife quilt together per a request from my 13 year grandson, to be his Christmas gift. Recently donated two quilts to be auctioned off by our church parochial school, the money being used to assist families that may need help with the tuition at that school. The two quilts I just donated were a result of using my scraps so I guess I am all over the place with my quilting adventure.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:52 AM

I also love that I can make something for aother person(s) that they wouldn't normally get from another. Love all the beautiful fabrics out there plus the fact I can take scraps and make something awesome out of it. I even amaze myself at times how nice the quilt comes out. It also keeps me busy during bad weather or for us around here in Iowa cold weather in the winter time. I can also make other items with the scraps to go with the quilt like pillowcases, throw pillows, runners, etc. just to name a few. I love that I still have a creative bone in my body after all these years. My sister just loves to come over and pet my fabrics. She doesn't sew though.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 AM

When my children started to hit their mid and late teens I realized my focus in life had to shift as they would be leaving home soon. At the same time I was watching my elders entering retirement with no plan...which had obvious negative effects. So I started to search for something that would keep me learning, could be done even if I was confined to a chair, and that connected me to a community. Quilting ticked all the boxes! I made incredible friends at week long quilting retreats, learned so much my brain hurt, there is always a new skill to master, and to my surprise I started to gain colour handling and design skills....things I never thought I would gain. I can match the day's quilting to my mood...tackling something new and challenging on some days, making simple strip sets on days I just want to work without thinking too hard. It is meditative, regenerating, relaxing, challenging, comforting. And like so many here, I love making baby and charity quilts, and lap quilts and mug rugs as gifts.

Oh and turns out I love buying fabric! I have a huge stash which really suits my quilting style, which is increasingly improv. That stash gives me a good paintbox to work with.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I watched my two grandmothers. One had no hobbies, no interests and she just sit and withered away moaning why she was so lonely, like it was everyone's job to keep her entertained. My other grandmother gardened, sewed, crochet, went to church activities, did lots of DIY projects, had pets, cooked every day, and was always busy with something. She enjoyed being alone as she had things to do. I was young but could tell a difference in the two grandmothers. I wanted to be always have something to do I like doing. I tried a lot of different hobbies. I made a simple quilt and was hooked. My perfect do by myself for myself hobby when I was alone.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:26 AM

I like seeing how the things I pictured in my mind actually look when sewn.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:58 AM

It is therapy for me and I enjoy making quilts to give to friends or donate whatever the case may be.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:48 AM

I enjoy challenging myself. I can see a quilt, a picture, a pattern, and instantly have a connection to it. I start thinking of the fabric I already have, or what I need to buy. How I would change it, how I would make it. I'm self taught, and a perfectionist. I really enjoy the process of creating something beautiful. Once I'm done I revel in the thought that I made that! I enjoy having my creations hanging in my home.