Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Thanksgiving Gravy Tips >
  • Thanksgiving Gravy Tips

• Thanksgiving Gravy Tips

Old 11-18-2021, 09:46 AM

I use all the giblets that come with the bird for my gravy. I find the gravy is one of the easier parts of the meal. Getting the potatoes just right is a bigger challenge for me. People around me have more difficulty not having lumps in the gravy. I now use Clear Jel for my gravy and there is not a single unwanted lump in my gravy.
    Old 11-19-2021, 06:55 AM
    Power Poster

Gravy for Two

Heat oil and flour in skillet until flour is light brown color. I use about two tablespoons of oil and mix in flour until thick but still spoonable.
    add a a pat of butter. Using whisk add water/stock and add until not thick. Add all meat juices if you have it.
    Add seasoning. I use Bullion paste for flavor if not enough from meat juices or stock or if using water only, salt and pepper. I add a touch of caramel powder to make the gravy brown. It's fast to make and tastes great.

Even faster, add a mixture of cornstarch and water to simmering meat juices, whisk while adding broth. This is how I learned to cook, no recipes of exact ingredients, just do it until you get it right. I can tell by look and taste what the gravy and sauces need.
    Old 01-25-2022, 01:57 PM

Yep. That is the way I do it!
    Old 01-26-2022, 04:51 AM

I was taught as a teenager the way to make pan gravy from the turkey. Remove turkey from pan, over low heat add flour to make a paste - remove lumps by mashing with back of fork. When the paste is all made, slowly add liquid while whisking, until desired amount/consistency is reached. If the turkey was roasted in the oven, you do not need to add anything but salt and pepper, maybe.