Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston >

Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston

Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston

Old 11-30-2021, 09:24 AM

That conversation makes complete sense, only I’d never thought about things in those terms before.

But I must agree with SusieQOH……..that quilt is priceless ❤️
Old 11-30-2021, 10:32 AM

I saw Jenn's quilt in person. It's so much more wonderful that way! It's a gorgeous quilt and the workmanship is excellent.

I haven't had quilt appraised, but have had antiques and cars appraised for insurance. Yes, the appraised value is for replacement and is usually not what you would receive if you sold the item. It will normally sell for less than the appraised value. I had a vintage car appraised and the appraised value was $44,000. I was really keeping up on the values of vintage vehicles then and even though the car has won many prizes over the years and is really beautiful, in my estimation and selling price of anything over $30,000 would be pushing it.

Another thing we battle as quilter's is the lack of appreciation for hand made original quilts now. Younger people often don't have an appreciation of how much time, work and money is put in a good quilt. I heard one woman say 'But I could buy a quilt at the store for under $500. Yes, you could. It would not, however, be a one of a kind hand made quilt. Most people don't know the difference. Being able to discern quality seems to be a dying art.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:35 AM

I totally agree with cashs mom in her post, today very few of us value real beauty and this was truly that, thanks for sharing

cherryb
Old 12-01-2021, 04:58 AM

Great information to have for the future. Your quilt is beautifully done.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

While it is frustrating for those of us who quilt, I don't expect non-quilters to understand the value of our quilts. How can they? My kids do but only because they lived with a Mom who made quilts and frequently had to go shopping with me.
The younger generations have a lot to offer in other areas, for example, tech stuff. Not comparing to quilt making but just in general. I learn a lot from my kids.