Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat >

Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat

Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat

Old 01-26-2022, 04:42 AM

Yes, try a bigger ruler. Check that the mat is flat and level on the table. Pay attention to technique. Are you sliding the ruler onto the fabric? "Lay" the ruler onto the fabric. Also check your hand position on the ruler. Spread out fingers and position on the ruler. Great demo link below for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfvKE0Y6npk

Be sure the ruler line is "over and on" the fabric. If the line is only to the fabric, the cut will be short by a thread or two of fabric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bkJKQwq4FI
Old 01-26-2022, 05:55 AM

I'm another one who thinks a lot of this problem will miraculously go away when using a 6 or 6.5" ruler, spread out your fingers across a wide area.

One of my sayings is that "fabric can be treacherous". It does want to do all sorts of things on its own and can be difficult to be kept to the straight and narrow

Even though I am big on prepping my fabric first and doing all sorts of things, I do check/straighten my fabric every 2-3 cuts just to make sure everything is still where/how I want it.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:17 AM

Ooooohhhhh! You have given me so many ideas to try! I had been “precutting” the strips down until they were an inch or less bigger than the final cut size, and then using a ruler that was only slightly bigger than the fabric for the final cut. I didn’t mention that earlier, since I had no idea I was making it easier for both the fabric and the ruler to move!

The videos are great. I have bookmarked them. I have got to get better doing You Tube searches.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-26-2022, 06:33 AM

I always use the lines on my cutting mat along with the ruler lines, and I put some kind of weight on the piece also.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:36 AM

I have this problem with my folding (picnic style) tables, but NOT with a more substantial base, such as, the dining room table or sewing machine store tables made specifically for the machines.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:00 AM

I have always found I cut more accurately if I just use the ruler edge and lines rather than the lines on the mat. I also agree that standing while using a wider ruler and spreading my hand out to stabilize it makes a huge difference (my go-to for strips is a 6.5 x 24). I also have learned a few new things to try from reading these tips so who needs Google? We have a world of expertise right here!
Old 01-26-2022, 12:41 PM

I understand your pain! I never conquered this problem. So I changed to a cutting System. (Accuquilt and not affiliated with the company) I has made such a difference. Perfect cuts every time.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:13 PM

I tend to forget but at times I remember to use my five pound hand weights to hold a ruler while I cut. It does help on my long ruler.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I also had problems using my folding plastic table. I also had " miraculous" improvement when cutting on a more rigid base.

I enjoy cutting, but I am more successful only cutting a few layers at a time - four or less.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:16 AM

I have had the same problem. I did some internet and found a utube on how to use rotary cutter with ruler. I did see what I was doing wrong so now it works better for me