Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand quilting problem >
  • Hand quilting problem

• Hand quilting problem

Old 09-27-2022, 12:47 AM

I'm not sure hand-quilting on this one is a good idea. Depending on how the hexie is made and the quilt design you are using, you could be trying to get a needle through 4 layers of chintz, background fabric, batting and backing and a thick thread. Whew, that'd be tough. I recently had a GFG quilted on a longarm with a paragraph design and I love how it turned out. For the edge/binding I'm hand sewing hexagons around the edge on the back. Good luck. Use a good thimble, sharp needle which you'll replace fairly often. We'd love to see your progress!
    Old 09-27-2022, 04:03 AM

I once made a (hand quilted) Triple Wedding Ring as a gift for a friend and she picked Chintz-type fabric. Never again!! It has a coating on it that makes it tough to quilt through.
    Old 09-27-2022, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gay
    I don't have any experience with hand quilting, but is a crewel needle the right way to go ? Don't they have a blunt/rounded point, and are thicker? You will need a sharp needle I would imagine.
    I read somewhere ihey we’re good with 12 weight thread having a bigger eye and a sharp point I find really smal needles difficult to hold lol and thread
    Old 09-27-2022, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    You said the it was a variety of Laura Ashley prints. Are these the home dec type fabrics? Heavier home dec fabrics would be hard to hand quilt especially with a heavier weight thread.
    i think a lot of them are home dec type who ever made it had a lot of patience
    Old 09-27-2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jacqueck
    I'm not sure hand-quilting on this one is a good idea. Depending on how the hexie is made and the quilt design you are using, you could be trying to get a needle through 4 layers of chintz, background fabric, batting and backing and a thick thread. Whew, that'd be tough. I recently had a GFG quilted on a longarm with a paragraph design and I love how it turned out. For the edge/binding I'm hand sewing hexagons around the edge on the back. Good luck. Use a good thimble, sharp needle which you'll replace fairly often. We'd love to see your progress!
    I’ll. see if I can get some pics, I’m in no rush to get this one finished ….
    Old 09-28-2022, 03:17 AM

Chinz is normally a bit of a tighter weaver than quilting cottons. Bamboo batting also is not as buttery as wool. Double whammy! Sorry about your fingers. Maybe try betweens needles.
    Old 09-28-2022, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Iolo
    i think a lot of them are home dec type who ever made it had a lot of patience
    That would definitely be a problem home dec type fabrics are very hard to hand sew. Tight weave, some type of coating. Plus using a heavy weight thread that needs a large needle would make the problem worse. I think I'd just machine quilt it and be done with it. You might try a lighter weight thread and something like an embroidery needle. They have a large eye and are easier to thread.