Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips for y seams? >

Any tips for y seams?

Any tips for y seams?

Old 03-25-2023, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I took a class making a weave quilt using 2 x 3 inch rectangles. Every seam was a Y seam (set in seam). It was so easy. We left the seam unsewd for about 1/2". No markings or measuring. Every class member was sewing Y seams without a problem.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:31 AM

I did my first Y-seams in the Harriet's Journey sampler. All of my Y seam blocks were wonky. I'll check out the recommended video.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. It's appreciated very much. My takeaway on this is that there are a few different ways to accomplish the same goal. I've also looked at a few tutorials online and there are some different theories out there. Sometimes I think we just have to experiment to find what works best for us. I'm leaning towards marking a dot to stop in the seam line. Not brave enough to tackle it with just a pin placement. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with me.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:04 AM

Don't forget to back stitch or lock stitch if your machine has that function. You don't want those seams unravelling!
Old 03-26-2023, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Don't forget to back stitch or lock stitch if your machine has that function. You don't want those seams unravelling!
Not on subject, but I just have to say that I love your saying about the idiot. That has been proven in my life way too many times. Now when someone cannot be convinced by truth or logic, I just think of your saying & shut my mouth. It's not going to work and my blood pressure does not need to be raised by others.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:26 AM

I found that starching the pieces helped a lot!
Old 03-28-2023, 05:09 AM

I also was afraid of "Y" seams and then I started working on a diamond log cabin pattern with mostly all "Y" seams. I'm thinking the instructions suggested to mark at every corner the 1/4" so you know where to start and stop. I remember taking a straight pin and sticking it into the little dot mark and then sticking it into the next piece I'd be sewing it to. Seemed to help as my quilt came out with very little problems. Also starching your fabrics helps a great deal as it will keep the bias from stretching too much as my diamond log cabins were mostly all bias edges.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I took a class making a weave quilt using 2 x 3 inch rectangles. Every seam was a Y seam (set in seam). It was so easy. We left the seam unsewd for about 1/2". No markings or measuring. Every class member was sewing Y seams without a problem.
Onebyone, would you be willing to explain this a bit more? I have only seen/read the marking the dot method. Thanks!

charlotte
Old 03-29-2023, 05:10 AM

I took a class with Gyleen Fitzgerald last summer. Her method is called "butterfly seams" bc of the way you sew the pieces; as you add the 3rd piece in, the unit looks like a butterfly from the backside.

I did enjoy the class, and FINISHED the quilt - in part because I was afraid I'd forget how to do it, lol. Although her class uses her ruler, bc of the way the pattern is designed, you could use the sewing method for anything with a Y-seam.

You can see a demonstration of it here. Kind of long, but you can start at 5:30 for the sewing, and don't need to watch the whole thing if you don't want to see the 2nd round added. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFqprE4T2g
Attached Thumbnails sunny-side-up.jpg   sunny-side-up-4.jpg  
Old 03-29-2023, 09:24 AM

If I have a little hole where they come together, I just take needle and thread and hand stitch it close. w