Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting hoop >
  • Quilting hoop

• Quilting hoop

Old 06-06-2023, 06:22 AM

Also when using the hoop, remember you don’t want your work to be too tight, I was shown to put the work in the hoop and then push gently with my fist in the middle to give it some flexibility and help with making consistent stitches.
    Old 06-09-2023, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
    From your last comment about not thinking your stitches are small enough to please yourself, it sounds like the high loft is your issue. Too, just recently I had commented about having issues with the quilt I was hand quilting. A quilting friend suggested using beeswax on the needle. I have heard of using it on the thread but not the needle. It certainly did help though!
    If you usually use a cotton batt and now dealing with high loft poly, there certainly is a difference. Just keep your stitches consistent in size and enjoy the "new" experience. Keeping them small may not be possible with the extra thickness.
    Thank you! I ended up machine quilting it all over. I was able to pull out the puckering after I finished by removing stitches on those places and sewing it from the other direction. That smoothed out the mistakes and it doesn’t look bad. I used the ruler foot to free motion the borders, with a lazy looping pattern and that looks the best. If I ever use that batting again, I will free motion and also place the pins much closer than I usually do, no more than 3” space between them.

The end product isn’t perfect but it’s nice as a gift for a nonsewer. I finally showed it to a few local people who said it’s busy enough that the few mistakes don’t really show up unless you look for them.

I am also keeping the hoop I bought. It doesn’t seem right to return it when I used it and it’s not broken, it’s just not what I’m used to. My old wooden one was put away and I have to dig it out but I’m not sure it’s still usable anyway. I appreciate all the suggestions.