Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 7/8 inch folded binding >
  • 2 7/8 inch folded binding

• 2 7/8 inch folded binding

Old 06-17-2023, 09:36 AM
    Power Poster

Many times I choose a binding that will cover at least an inch of the last borde to add another color to be a border. I double fold it. Sew it on by machine I then top stitch 1/4 from the edge. Looks great and so far has held up fine with repeated washings. The miters turn out great when the binding is wider. At the last big quilt show I paid attention to the bindings of the quilts. Many winners had non traditional bindings. The quilt edge has to be finished so anyway you want to do it is fine. I have made a lot of rolled bindings. Roll the edge of the quilt over twice and hand stitch it down. This makes a great puff binding and adds a professional look to throw pillows.
    Old 06-17-2023, 11:21 AM

well i emailed Wawak back to see if they have skinner bias binding. I do not want to make my own. I will if necessary but right now I'm tired. Will wait a few days. I have it all ready to quilt now and may start that.
    Old 06-17-2023, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44
    well i emailed Wawak back to see if they have skinner bias binding. I do not want to make my own. I will if necessary but right now I'm tired. Will wait a few days. I have it all ready to quilt now and may start that.
    I am guessing that when it is folded that it is about a half inch wide as seen at https://www.wawak.com/garment-constr...#sku=hmf500bye I believe the only other double fold bias is one quarter inch wide as seen at https://www.wawak.com/garment-constr.../#sku=hmf502bk It is quite narrow and doubt that it would conveniently cover the edge of a quilt. I used some of the narrow double fold for some shorts years ago and even on a single layer, it was kind of fiddly to sew on.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 06-18-2023, 06:38 AM

they haven't answered my inquiry so i will go on ahead and get it done one way or another. I've got to quilt it first, so first things first.
    Old 06-18-2023, 12:27 PM

they got back with me and i ordered some 1/2 inch double fold. Should work well. I kept the others because I can always use them on regular straight edge quilts. Doing curvy quilt lines now, such fun!!
    Old 06-18-2023, 12:57 PM

Do you have a link to the binding you originally got? Because if you have a strip that is 2 7/8 wide that is folded with the edges to the middle two times the result will be a little less than 3/4" and I have never seen double folded bias tape that wide.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 06-18-2023, 01:04 PM

WAWAK is where I get a lot of my sewing thread, blades, etc. I have used them for years and always have had good service.

I make my own binding and cut 2 1/2 wide for my strips. This just works best for me.

When I am short on fabric I have taken the leftover fabric from the project cut my 2 1/2 inch strips and put them together in a "scrappy" way. It always turns out nice and the different colors/pattens in the boarder seems to give the quilt a new turn.
    Hope this helps.
    Old 06-19-2023, 07:03 AM

I was looking at my quilts and saw my Grandmothers flower garden. i did that with regular binding, scalloped.
    picture if it and of my apple core so far. looking better each day.
    Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden.jpg   p6080263.jpg  
    Old 06-19-2023, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44
    I was looking at my quilts and saw my Grandmothers flower garden. i did that with regular binding, scalloped.
    picture if it and of my apple core so far. looking better each day.
    That's a very gentle scallop. You could probably even do it with a narrow WOF cut binding.
    Old 06-23-2023, 04:02 PM

I cannot believe it! they sent me the same wide binding again. 2 7/8 inches double folded, still one inch wide. sigh. I give up.