Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When do you buy... >
  • When do you buy...

• When do you buy...

Old 06-21-2023, 04:39 PM

I usually purchase what I need for the entire quilt. I basically have it all planned out before I purchase the fabric and have the measurements etc. I like to make my quilts from fabric lines and if I don't get the fabric all at once, I'm afraid that what I want for the backing from that fabric line will be out of stock when I'm ready for it.
    Old 06-21-2023, 04:59 PM
    Power Poster

I buy backing whenever I see it at a good price. I never seem to have a problem matching front and back.
    Old 06-22-2023, 03:39 AM

I buy the backing and binding after the top is finished just in case I change direction on the pattern used. That way I know exactly how much I need.
    Old 06-22-2023, 03:50 AM

I buy backing that I like when I see it. Most of my stash is blues and teals, so most work together. I will check out wide-back Wednesday! I haven't made binding for a quilt, yet. I extend the top's edges to make the binding.
    Old 06-22-2023, 04:36 AM

I also have a stash of backing fabrics which I use the scraps in a future quilt so no waste. I just got an email from Quilted Twins about their backings and they seem to have quite a few to choose from at a decent price. I've ordered from them and have never had any complaints witht he fabrics I've gotten from them. Also Marshall Dry Goods seem to have decent prices for their backings and I've ordered from them too. I'm always on the lookout for backings for my future quilts so when there's a sale, I grab.
    Old 06-22-2023, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

I usually piece backing using yardage. I like to use one of the fabrics in the quilt top as backing fabric.
    Old 06-22-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I usually piece backing using yardage. I like to use one of the fabrics in the quilt top as backing fabric.
    I usually plan my quilts to put some of the backing in the front too. I like how it steamlines it together as belonging.
    Old 06-22-2023, 10:48 AM

If I'm planning a quilt and find just the right backing fabric when shopping, I will buy it with the front pieces. Always make sure to buy plenty, as I once ended up desperately trying to find more since the quilt ended up bigger than expected. Finding that extra cost me a lot. Now I try to piece together chunks from my stash and have some wide backing fabric on hand.
    Old 06-22-2023, 02:52 PM

I keep an eye on clearance sales. I look for fabrics where there is 9 or more yards left on the bolt and if it looks like it would make a good backing. Once I found a wonderful sale at 50% off and if you bought the remainder of the bolt, it was $3 a yard. Not bad for quilt shop fabric. As I do scrappy quilts frequently, I really have done most of my shopping in my bargain backing section. All three of my recent Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt finishes have some of this backing.
    Old 06-22-2023, 03:29 PM
    Power Poster

Really it depends on the quilt. Sometimes I just go ahead and buy the backing when it needs a specialty fabric to set it off. But, the impromptu quilts from my stash are buy later backings for sure. Neutrals are a great backing and it is good to have on hand, but how much to buy? Only the, I have this one in mind and the size needed would be, is the ones I buy. It is hard to buy ahead unless you have a reason or the price is unbeatable.