Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Which color thread? >
  • Which color thread?

• Which color thread?

Old 06-28-2023, 02:38 PM

I agree with a lighter shade of gray. Whatever shade you decide to use, your quilt will be beautiful.
    Old 06-29-2023, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    After seeing the quilt top, I'd suggest a cool gray or silver since most of your colors are cool and there are some cool whites as well. I think value midway between very light and medium would be a good choice that would work with both the colored areas and the white parts. I think I'd stay away from anything with warm overtones even though your backing fabric is warm colored.

Rob
    Thank you. I never thought of it like that but you are right.
    Old 06-29-2023, 09:09 AM

Thread choosing is my hardest decision. I think about it when I’m choosing my backs too, because either way, it seems like the threads will stand out more on one side or the other. I like colored backs but if I use that color thread my threads will stand out on the top usually white background. It’s a dilemma each time for me and don’t suggest I try one color for top thread and another for bottom. I can adjust tension and I think it’s perfect. Then I see little dots of color at every needle hole. What’s an old gal to do?
    Old 07-01-2023, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by toogie
    Thread choosing is my hardest decision. I think about it when I’m choosing my backs too, because either way, it seems like the threads will stand out more on one side or the other. I like colored backs but if I use that color thread my threads will stand out on the top usually white background. It’s a dilemma each time for me and don’t suggest I try one color for top thread and another for bottom. I can adjust tension and I think it’s perfect. Then I see little dots of color at every needle hole. What’s an old gal to do?
    Exactly!! So frustrating.
    Old 07-03-2023, 08:28 PM

For the least value contrast, medium/light grey.
    Old 07-04-2023, 02:06 AM

I very often use slightly different colors to match the top and the back because I like muslin backs for their softness. So I'll use gray for the multicolored tops and cream for the back.
    Old 07-04-2023, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by toogie
    I do a lot of my quilting with a different color on the top and back. My Juki has a pretty well balanced stitch which makes it easier, but I've found the occasional pokey on the wrong side will usually even out once the quilt is washed.