Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 08-18-2023, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
You can make denim quilts without batting. I know of a few patterns if you're interested.
This might be the best idea proposed so far. I would love to hear what patterns you'd suggest, thanks!
Old 08-18-2023, 04:48 PM

The way I make my denim quilts, is by sewing the squares, rectangles, strips or octagons together. Then the seam allowances become the front of the quilt. You insert a (heavy) fabric under the seam allowances, then zig-zag the raw edges down. I'll send you a link by pm.
Attached Thumbnails brick-windows-main.jpg  
Old 08-18-2023, 08:02 PM

The way I make my denim quilts, is by sewing the squares, rectangles, strips or octagons together. Then the seam allowances become the front of the quilt. You insert a (heavy) fabric under the seam allowances, then zig-zag the raw edges down. I'll send you a link by pm.
I really do like your denim rectangles. I love the color of fabrics you used in it. I have made a few denim quilts myself. I wish I could see a close up of how you turned and sewed at the corners/intersections. Very pretty quilts.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:24 PM

Here are a couple more pictures of my denim quilts. They're constructed in small sections, so you don't have to work with the whole quilt at once.
Attached Thumbnails denim-waves-fence.jpg   crazy-denim-closer.jpg   denim-stars-close-1.jpg  

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 08-18-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:26 PM

I understand Cathedral Window quilts are heavy. It's on my to do list, but haven't made one yet. Since I live in the San Diego area of CA I don't want really warm quilts in the spring, summer, and fall. So I have started using wool batting. It breathes better than cotton and hangs like a cotton batting - maybe better. It's washable and very little shrinkage compared to cotton.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:23 AM

Default I love all your denim quilts

I am interested in your method as well. Each and every denim quilt you have shown is amazing.
Do you quilt as you go?
Old 08-19-2023, 03:23 AM

The quilt that I backed with minky fabric was heavy. Just the bag that had the yardage was heavy. I did not use batting.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:41 AM

quiltedsunshine, your denim quilts are wonderful! That first one is really clever.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:08 PM

Love this idea!
Old 08-23-2023, 05:50 PM

I have noticed that my Bonnie Hunter quilts are heavier than most as there is so many seams and thread in them.