Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing Question >

Quilt Backing Question

Quilt Backing Question

Old 12-13-2023, 03:52 AM

A small floral print that includes a bit of both colors would be the way to go in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:59 AM

Maybe try going on to some of the fabric websites, and search for purple and yellow. Just for an idea, this one came up on Free Spirit
https://freespiritfabrics.com/suited...oted-daydream/
Old 12-15-2023, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by KathyE View Post
Lots of things to think about. Sorry I don't know how to post a picture. I know that would be helpful.
This thread tells you how to post pictures on post 3 with clear pictures on how to do it. It's for the ipad but it is the same for the computer or the mobiel phone.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...s-t321918.html
Old 12-15-2023, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

How about this:https://www.missouriquiltco.com/coll...-hour-specials

And it's a flash sale today at Missouri Star 3 yards wide backing for $35
Old 12-15-2023, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by KathyE View Post
The purple is rather dark and the yellow is bright. They are both prints. I'm just afraid if I go with a purple it will clash with the front. Do you think a cream color print would work? Maybe tone down the front a little?
I've never know a white or cream back to tone down a loud front. They just recede completely. I second using another complementary purple, but another option is to the other way altogether with a really dark backing, navy, brown, green, or even black.
Also a good trick if you're worried about clashing colors is to go a hardware or paint supply store and use the sample strips to get an idea of what shades work well with your quilt.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by polkweed View Post
Also a good trick if you're worried about clashing colors is to go a hardware or paint supply store and use the sample strips to get an idea of what shades work well with your quilt.
Curious as to how that actually works. Most color strips in the fans (SW and BM) have a lot of iterations of a single shade, like 7 creams, with no other colors. I guess it would help in being able to hold up lot of colors against the existing fabrics?

Old 12-16-2023, 05:04 AM

If they are the colors she picked, either (or both) in a backing would probably be fine with her. The backing is rarely exposed, anyhow. I really don't worry too much about my backings. Something in the same color family, kind of, sort of, is fine by me. I look for what I have in big pieces, even if I'd need to piece a backing, or what's on sale. I've been making king size, so that's 10 yards of fabric needed... I go straight to Hancock's of Paducah and look at their sales. I'd totally use this one https://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Dea...ion_decimals=1 I don't care that the yellow might not be perfect, or that the print is supposed to look like a dinosaur print - it's $3.99/yard! Or, look at the many available for $4.99/yard. The last time I needed them, I got 15 yards of 2 different ones, so enough for 3 quilts. By getting 15 yards, you get a quantity discount. I'll use each of them by themselves, then the 3rd one, I will use the last 5 yards of both pieced together.

People complain about piecing a backing, but it's really just a long, straight seam or two. I do a 1" seam before trimming the selvedge off. Here's a link to their sales that are purple and/or yellow. https://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Dea...ion_decimals=1
Old 12-16-2023, 05:18 AM

Your DIL picked the colors, dark purple and bright yellow. That tells me she likes bold bright colors, therefore I would not tone it down with cream or anything else. Keep the strong bold colors, she will love it! I am a huge fan of bright colors and prints.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Curious as to how that actually works. Most color strips in the fans (SW and BM) have a lot of iterations of a single shade, like 7 creams, with no other colors. I guess it would help in being able to hold up lot of colors against the existing fabrics?
You bring your fabric/quilt to the store and use the entire fan/collection of strips as a color wheel.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by polkweed View Post
You bring your fabric/quilt to the store and use the entire fan/collection of strips as a color wheel.
Seems pretty cumbersome, but maybe a way to see a lot of colors at once. Better would be a LQS or an online shop, where you could actually purchase a solution.