Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting, overwhelmed rookie >

Fusible batting, overwhelmed rookie

Fusible batting, overwhelmed rookie

Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM

K I think that is a good solution.
Lucille, can you lift the patches off? if you can, you might be able to smooth out the blocks a little before you do K's suggestion. Sometimes laying the sandwich will ripple one layer and think the ironing is the cause of it.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Power Poster

That is so funny, I thought the same thing before I read, that all was not that it was totally fixable, I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Power Poster

I have another idea. Treat it like fusible applique.
Pick out a wide decorative stitch. Stitch the blocks together and you will be quilting it at the same time :wink::D:D
Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Ok all is not lost. Actually this can be a happy accident if you make lemonade out of it. How is that for globbing together a bunch of sayings?? What I would do at this point is to put a backing material onto the back and take a fabric I like that will be either bold if you like that or subtle and make 1.5 inch strips. Fold them in half right side out and sew 1/4 inch making a tube. Then I would take one tube and lay it onto one row of blocks lining up the raw edges and sew the 1/4 inch through the strip, the block, the batting and the backing all the way from one side of the quilt to the other. Then fold the strip over to cover the "seam" and onto the block opposite it. Sew it down making a "sashing" between all of the blocks. Do all of the seams vertically and horizontally. It will be beautiful and quilted too.
I was thinking the same thing, but did not know how to word it.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Pick out a wide decorative stitch. Stitch the blocks together and you will be quilting it at the same time :wink::D:D
That's where my brain was going, too. If your machine is tough enough to do a nice job through the batting, it could end up cute.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Ok all is not lost. Actually this can be a happy accident if you make lemonade out of it. How is that for globbing together a bunch of sayings?? What I would do at this point is to put a backing material onto the back and take a fabric I like that will be either bold if you like that or subtle and make 1.5 inch strips. Fold them in half right side out and sew 1/4 inch making a tube. Then I would take one tube and lay it onto one row of blocks lining up the raw edges and sew the 1/4 inch through the strip, the block, the batting and the backing all the way from one side of the quilt to the other. Then fold the strip over to cover the "seam" and onto the block opposite it. Sew it down making a "sashing" between all of the blocks. Do all of the seams vertically and horizontally. It will be beautiful and quilted too.
kwhite, you are so smart. What a great idea! And Lucille, don't be embarrassed. We've all done "stuff". Turn it into a happy mistake.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 PM

I'm glad I read through the answers before posting because Kwhite said EXACTLY what I was going to say!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Hey,
Before you add the sashing (you beat me to it, this idea is perfect) you might want to sew a line of stitching through the center, both vertical and horizontal, to anchor your layers together.

Start doing all the vertical sashings in one row, working from the center, then out to the sides. Do the vertical sashing the same way in the next row. Then add the horizontal sashing between the 2 rows.

This will help keep everything else from shifting as you sew the sashing strips.

Then you will be ready to finish the edge with the binding. If you don't know how, come back and ask. There is plenty of help available here.

No worries, we have all been beginners. Many quilters just started right in, and have had our share of "creative opportunities".

Good luck to you.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Originally Posted by amma
That's where my brain was going, too. If your machine is tough enough to do a nice job through the batting, it could end up cute.
If you can FMQ or do a straight stitch, you can do a decorative stitch :wink: I do this all the time on the Downy kid's quilts :D:D:D
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kimbie
Hey,
Before you add the sashing (you beat me to it, this idea is perfect) you might want to sew a line of stitching through the center, both vertical and horizontal, to anchor your layers together.

Start doing all the vertical sashings in one row, working from the center, then out to the sides. Do the vertical sashing the same way in the next row. Then add the horizontal sashing between the 2 rows.

This will help keep everything else from shifting as you sew the sashing strips.

Then you will be ready to finish the edge with the binding. If you don't know how, come back and ask. There is plenty of help available here.

No worries, we have all been beginners. Many quilters just started right in, and have had our share of "creative opportunities".

Good luck to you.
You could even do long sashing strips both ways...less cutting and you would avoid the bulky ends on the short pieces