Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is Connecting Threads thread good quality? >
  • Is Connecting Threads thread good quality?

• Is Connecting Threads thread good quality?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM
    Power Poster

I have one complaint about the thread. The wrapper is hard to get off for me. I messed up a spool using a seam ripper to open the wrapper and cut into the threads. My fingers can't tear the wrapper away.
    Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM

The thread I just got from them had no wrapper on it with the color. The group was just in a plastic bag. I wonder if they heard all the complaints, but unless I can figure out the names how do I know the colors? Maybe I'll use the labels on the inside or just write it with fine tip sharpie. I thought it was rather odd that they were just jumbled up loose in a plastic bag but not having ordered from them before this, I didn't know what to expect.
    Wendy B
    Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

My thread set came in a shrink wrapped package with each spool wrapped in a clear plastic wrapper. I've never gotten a thread set with loose spools in a plastic bag but I haven't ordered a new thread set in awhile
    Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird
    Originally Posted by Missi
    I forgot to mention in my last post that one downfall with the thread is that after you open it you have no idea what color thread it is. So I make a little label with my label maker and put it on the inside of the spool. It is tricky but so far it is working.
    Love Connecting Threads thread. Like Missi, I wish I knew what color it is after it is opened. That spool is a bit small to get a label inside :-D Same with TP or paper towels, wish they would put the brand on the inside of the roll, then I would remember if it was one that I would want to purchase again, or not.
    I saved the label and taped it along with about 10 strands of the thread into a notebook. I also included the date I purchased the thread so I can track how much of that color I use.
    Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by NCMtnHigh
    Their tread is top notch. I NEVER get broken thread while sewing. It's 50 weight and the colors are great. There's no sheen to it so looks at place on cotton. I'm now quilting with batiks and their colors do not get lost in the background. I want the hues to stand out and compliment the batiks. Can't beat the prices either.
    good info to know.
    Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 PM

I forgot to mention in my last post that one downfall with the thread is that after you open it you have no idea what color thread it is. So I make a little label with my label maker and put it on the inside of the spool. It is tricky but so far it is working.
    Thank you for the advance warning! I wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but when I need to match a color and know it because I wrote it, I will be very grateful to you
    Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Machine embroidery thread comes on cones or spools. The thread on the cones (which is much more economical than spools to buy) unwinds, so most of us who do machine emb. buy thin vinyl by the yard (I buy mine at Joann's) and we cut 2"-wide strips ... it is best to use pinking shears or a pinking blade to cut the strips ... then we wrap the individual spools of thread (once they are opened) with about a 5"-long piece of the vinyl, which clings to itself and keeps the thread from unwinding.

A few months ago, I bought a lot of Essential Thread from Connecting Threads. I haven't opened or used any yet, but I plan to use vinyl strips on those spools and cones also, with the thread color label enclosed under the vinyl.

I can tell you that it works like a charm! The vinyl is not expensive and a little goes a long way.
    Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
    The thread I just got from them had no wrapper on it with the color. The group was just in a plastic bag. I wonder if they heard all the complaints, but unless I can figure out the names how do I know the colors? Maybe I'll use the labels on the inside or just write it with fine tip sharpie. I thought it was rather odd that they were just jumbled up loose in a plastic bag but not having ordered from them before this, I didn't know what to expect.
    Wendy B
    Wendy, are you sure, your package wasn't damaged by the post office?
    I once got some medication with the bottle and the pills in a zip loc bag. It was many years ago, but if that happened today, I would be on the horn.
    I wouldn't take them if they had been opened, but that has nothing to do with your thread.
    That's just really weird.
    I have ordered a good size box of their thread and i love it too. All mine were individually wrapped in cellophane with the numbers and name of the color etc.
    I wouldn't like it, if I received something that was jumbled up like you described. i would call them. I believe they would be very helpful.
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
    Wendy B
    That order is not right. They don't ship stuff that way. Everything I've ever received from them has been perfect.

If it was mine, I'd call and tell them; do you still have the order number and information?
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM

I have the info, I got it last week. I ordered 3 thread collections (DH had given me $$ specifically for thread for Christmas) and I received 3 plastic bags with the spools of thread in them. They were not even marked as to which collection they were because I had to go back to the website and compare the colors. None of them look like they have been opened but since I had never ordered anything from them, I guess I didn't really know what to expect. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
    Wendy B