Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing room set up. >

Sewing room set up.

Sewing room set up.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM

You will need storage for your fabric. Counter top for cutting fabric. And a table to place your machine on. Make use of all the space you have. If you have a closet that will give you extra storage for fabric. Don't forget a place for thread, rulers, iron and ironing board, etc. You will be more productive if your sewing area is neat. A place for everything and everthying in its place. If you are constantly looking for stuff you wont get any sewing done.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieL
I have a 100 sq. ft. room that I want to make into a sewing room. Any ideas - do's or don'ts as to how to set up?
Great discussion we all had recently:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/search.jsp?q=sewing+rooms

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....sewing+studios
Its tons of fun looking at all the pics of others rms. My best advise to to set it up then start using the rm. you will soon know whats working and whats not. Alot of it is personal , the way you work. have fun and come back to show us what you decided.

rubbermaid drawers for solids
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20688[/ATTACH]

sewing table set up in front of window for good lite
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20826[/ATTACH]

shelves in closet for printed fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20827[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20688.jpe   attachment-20826.jpe   attachment-20827.jpe  
Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Check out this link Sondray had posted quite awhile ago.
Click on it, then scroll all the way down to the right bottom corner, and there's links for about a zillion different sewing rooms!! You'll spend hours there, so be forewarned!! lol!!!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-21238-1.htm
:)

Wow Craftilady, I didn't notice the links you had posted! :roll: You all know what I'll be doing the rest of tonight and probably tomorrow too!! lol!!!! :) :)
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Well my sewing room is a small bedroom turned into my sewing room. This is what I did. It is in a "U" shape.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21149.jpe   attachment-21150.jpe   attachment-21151.jpe  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 PM

go vertical as you all have done. I don't have any vertical wall space, (cape cod house has slanted wall/ceilings). All my walls have furniture all the way around the room and then I start in the middle of the room with table. I am lucky when it is cleaned and I can walk all the way around the tables without having to step over or pick up and move something.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Storage, Storage and more Storage you can never have enough. I have my sewing table under a window, my ironing board is wall mounted and my cutting table is in the corner. And plenty of lighting.
I keep my sewing room as roomy as possible, I don't like cramped spaces. My sewing room is about 140 sq. ft.
Chase, does the green bulletin board cover a cabinet for an ironing board?
Yes it does, it came unfinished so I got creative.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM

I too am redoing my sewing room and had planned to install cabinets along the only wall available above a table. A friend suggested getting in the room and actually start using it before mounting things permanately to see exactly how things will be used. I thought it was a great idea since I can use some of the plastic rolling drawers that DS no longer uses. I know I will be needing more, but will have a better idea after using the room. Thanks for all the great ideas and best of luck setting up your own slice of heaven.
Wendy B
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
Harriet Hargraves has a great section in her book Heirloom Machine Quilting about setting up a sewing room.

My tip is shelves, shelves and more shelves. That way, you have space for your fabrics, supplies, books and WIPs (note I do not say UFOs).

I set up my sewing area so that it was in a "U" shape. One side has my pressing station and one side has a cutting / trimming station. That way, I can sew, press and trim without moving. It sure saves time.
that's a great idea
Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM

SS...your rm is neat & clean I love it!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 AM

Thank You ALL for your help, and I will be checking out that site. Great ideas everyone.