Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Hand Quilters >

Question for Hand Quilters

Question for Hand Quilters

Old 03-19-2010, 03:46 AM

I usually don't have a problem hand quilting on batiks - in fact I like the way the stitches look on them. The only time they've given me grief is if there's a batik on the back - then it felt like I needed a jack hammer to get the needle through.

In your shoes, I would loosen the tension on the quilt, and keep trying different needles. Instead of hoping for 10-12 stitches, go for bigger stitches. Try quilting on the bias - it has some natural give to it, where straight of grain would be harder because it doesn't stretch.

I have found that some fabrics are harder to quilt through than others. While batiks are good for me, some Kona solids are hard. Not all of them, just some. Who knew?

Janet
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 AM

I think that batiks have a tighter weave that other fabrics.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 AM

I learned a long time ago not to use batiks in something I am handquilting. I love the way they look but not the way they feel. They are very hard to handquilt through. I save them for purses and small machine quilted items. The only time I might use them in a piece I would be handquilting is if they were very small pieces of applique. 40 years ago when I started quilting it was common for people to try and use a sheet for the back of a quilt. Unless you were using a sheet with a very low thread count that was not a good idea. You will be able to make a much smaller stitch and more stitches on your needle with a looser woven fabric.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:29 AM

That is the problem. I have batik on the back also. I have used it in small amounts before, but this entire quilt is batik. It is gorgeos, but never again. It does feel like I need a jack hammer.

I have tried 4 different types of needles and even tried not using a hoop. Thank goodness it is small. I am going out today and buy platinum needles.
Originally Posted by Hinterland
I usually don't have a problem hand quilting on batiks - in fact I like the way the stitches look on them. The only time they've given me grief is if there's a batik on the back - then it felt like I needed a jack hammer to get the needle through.

In your shoes, I would loosen the tension on the quilt, and keep trying different needles. Instead of hoping for 10-12 stitches, go for bigger stitches. Try quilting on the bias - it has some natural give to it, where straight of grain would be harder because it doesn't stretch.

I have found that some fabrics are harder to quilt through than others. While batiks are good for me, some Kona solids are hard. Not all of them, just some. Who knew?

Janet
Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 AM

Gal, after thinking about it last night, I had an aha moment and I came to the same conclusion, after I thought about the process of making batiks.
Originally Posted by Gal
This is just a thought here and may or may not have anything to do with it as I cannot handle the fabric to feel what it like but I have actually made my own batik fabrics in the past from 100% cottons. What I found was that with all the resist work (using wax for this) and all the various dye baths and mordants, the fabric seemed to become more stiffer as each colour of dye was added. Even after all the wax was boiled out the fabric was no longer soft like the original plain white cotton, so I am wondering if it is perhaps just that kind of process?

Gal