Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps? >

Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps?

Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 AM

I love scrap quilts too! I had my "scraps" sorted by color and had a plastic box for each color. Last year, while I was laid up with a broken foot, I cut everything up into usable pieces. I saved fat quarters but anything smaller than that got cut up. If the piece was long, it was cut into strips as wide as 6", as small as 1". So if a piece was 8" wide, I'd cut it into 6" and 2" strips. I decided on 6" strips because if I need a 6" square, I can cut from that or if I need 3" strips, I can cut two, 2" strips, I can cut 3, etc. If it was not a long piece, I'd cut it into squares, as large as 5" (because I have the "nickel" quilt books) as small as 2". I now have boxes full of strips in every size from 1" to 6" and squares in every size from 2" to 5". For years, I never opened those old boxes of scraps, but I have been surprised to find in just the last year, how often I pull strips or squares for a scrappy quilt and I know just where to find the right size pieces! If I don't have enough of the right color in my strips and squares, then I move on to the fat quarters, and if that's still not enough, I move to my yardage pieces and cut a strip or two from those.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Often places sell fabric samples. Here is craigslist link I just found... 1000 lbs for $5!! However I think that may mean $5 per pound. I can't imagine them selling all those samples for only $5
http://albany.craigslist.org/art/1663028376.html
I saw this listing also. I was going to stop but I was on my way to another man's house to look at an old machine and fabric.
Right before I got there, the son who is in a wheelchair broke off the spindle holder of the machine. It also used cams which I have no idea how to use and no manual, so I didn't buy it.

The man wanted $60.00 for the machine and fabric. I gave him $40.00 for some of the fabric, not even close to making a dent in it. He had a closet stuffed and a metal cupboard also stuffed with books and knitting supplies, mostly yarn.

I ended up with between 150 and 250 yards of fabric. I am well over the 150 mark now and it looks like I am about 1/2 done. I am washing and pressing all of the material. I must have been ironing for about 7 hours straight for 4 days now. About 1 1/2 totes neatly folded full.

I didn't take the rest as either it was stuffed in so tight I couldn't pull it out or is was the old fashioned stretchy polyester that I don't like. Either way I felt like I made out like a bandit and didn't feel that I jipped the guy. It was really a mess in there and so cluttered. The son kept telling me in the closet which took me about 5 minutes to find. There were clothes hanging on the door, and baskets and boxes piled in front of it.

I ended up with a lot of nice fabric. The rest which I haven't washed is mostly printed and plain denim.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Often places sell fabric samples. Here is craigslist link I just found... 1000 lbs for $5!! However I think that may mean $5 per pound. I can't imagine them selling all those samples for only $5
http://albany.craigslist.org/art/1663028376.html
I saw this listing also. I was going to stop but I was on my way to another man's house to look at an old machine and fabric.
Right before I got there, the son who is in a wheelchair broke off the spindle holder of the machine. It also used cams which I have no idea how to use and no manual, so I didn't buy it.

The man wanted $60.00 for the machine and fabric. I gave him $40.00 for some of the fabric, not even close to making a dent in it. He had a closet stuffed and a metal cupboard also stuffed with books and knitting supplies, mostly yarn.

I ended up with between 150 and 250 yards of fabric. I am well over the 150 mark now and it looks like I am about 1/2 done. I am washing and pressing all of the material. I must have been ironing for about 7 hours straight for 4 days now. About 1 1/2 totes neatly folded full.

I didn't take the rest as either it was stuffed in so tight I couldn't pull it out or is was the old fashioned stretchy polyester that I don't like. Either way I felt like I made out like a bandit and didn't feel that I jipped the guy. It was really a mess in there and so cluttered. The son kept telling me in the closet which took me about 5 minutes to find. There were clothes hanging on the door, and baskets and boxes piled in front of it.

I ended up with a lot of nice fabric. The rest which I haven't washed is mostly printed and plain denim.

You are so lucky!! I would be so beyond happy to find something like that!! No luck so far though!! I found a site that was selling 5 pounds of scraps for just shipping, but they went out of business a year ago (just had the site up still), so I was excited for a second, then sad. LOL

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 AM

I periodically go thru my stash and pull out fabrics that maybe I'm not quite so in love with anymore and I cut them into 2" strips, 3 1/2", 4", 5" sometimes 6". Whatever odd size pieces are left I put in my "scrap" boxes.

Love scraps too! Miss working at the fabric store I used to and only two LQS here have scrap bins. One sells by the piece, the other sells by the sandwich ziploc size.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I just cut all my scraps into 6", 3-1/2" and 2-1/2 squares. I have quite a few now and can just whip up a quilt real fast now!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 PM

I trim left overs from squaring off fabric and triming down once the quilting is finished to 1 1/2" strips for log cabin and borders for mini wall hangings. I leave larger pieces 1/8 yd anything over 5" sq, if I think I can use if for applique.
I have a tote of 5" strips and squares, a draw of 2.5" strips and a bucket of scraps waiting to be cut down, but the I go through it and find something I can use in a current project (currently placemats).
Old 04-02-2010, 02:52 PM

The 3 pound scrap bags I got were very nice quality fabric- bolt ends, wrinkley and not always cut straight.Some were as much 1/2 yd cuts an occasional panel and a few flannel pieces. A lot were 1/4 yd cuts or less. Very good for scrap quilts and it was just like Christmas when the mail came.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM

I was just thinking of doing this. I just got a large stash from someone and was sorting(not done yet but stopped) and was thinking of all the smaller than a FQ pieces. thinking of just doing 2.5 " strips at different lengths, etc. but then I have to find time to do that also!!! what to do. :? but if you really love the scrappy then I would go for it.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:04 AM

Save them and use for bigger piecing. Do you applique?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 AM

I need some suggestions for scrap quilts. I recently "inherited" several boxes of scraps, mostly reds, that I want to put into something but don't know what to do. There are only a few squares, mostly about 2" strips but not all WOF. Suggestions appreciated!